Announcement Number: HANOI-2021-61
Hiring Agency: Embassy Hanoi
Position Title: Agricultural Scientist - All Interested Applicants
Open Period: 11/30/2021 - 12/14/2021Format MM/DD/YYYY
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+7
Series/Grade: LE - 1715 11
Salary: USD $32,908
Work Schedule: Full-time - Mon through Fri 40 hours/week
Promotion Potential: LE-11
Duty Location(s): 1 in Hanoi, VM
Telework Eligible: No
For More Info: HR Section
84-24-3850-5000 ext. 5126
- Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
For USEFM - FS is FP-4. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
Open to: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within 90 days of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
Travel Required: Not Required
The incumbent of this position will be relied upon as an expert in animal and/or plant health issues with area responsibilities that encompass the countries of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. The incumbent will be required to process a detailed understanding of the export and import regulations between these countries and the U.S. The position is complex as it includes a wide variety of animal and/or plant based agricultural commodities, variations in geography and its impact on commodity availability, economic, and political considerations between host countries and the U.S., and the expansion of U.S. exports of agricultural commodities.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: At least five years of progressively responsible experience in developing, directing, or evaluating agricultural health programs relating to trade, or in dealing with sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) matters of an equivalent nature is required.
- Expert and authoritative knowledge of animal health and/or plant health sciences, applicable laws, precedent decisions, quarantine regulations.
- In depth knowledge of local laws, programs, and practices related to animal and/or plant health relating to existing treaties and cooperative agreements is required.
Education Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences, veterinary sciences, biology, agricultural business or agricultural economics is required.
- Fluency in Speaking/Reading/Writing English is required. (This will be tested.)
- Fluency in Speaking/Reading/Writing Vietnamese is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must have/be:
- Ability to analyze complex, novel, and/or sensitive programs and situations and to apply a complex body of knowledge, laws, and precedents to make decisions and recommendations;
- Independently organize and execute work; Use many different sources to research programs and techniques; Communicate effectively orally and in writing; and engage with high-level officials and other representatives in providing technical advice, negotiating agreements, and explaining complex regulations and laws.
- Able to read and comprehend articles appearing in scientific journals and then apply this knowledge to program objectives.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Vietnam may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Other Information: HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local security or Public trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply, visit the Mission internet site at https://vn.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/embassy-consulate-jobs/
- Note: The Embassy Human Resources Office is unable to acknowledge the receipt of your documents due to the high volume of applications received. If you do not receive a notification email from ERA within four weeks of the vacancy announcement’s closing day, it is likely that you did not qualify for the position or did not submit a complete package.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent if you are AEFM / USEFM)
- Vietnamese ID
- Residency and/or Work Permit (If you are not Vietnamese Citizen)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- University Degree
- Other Document
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.
07/02/2022Save the Children
17/02/2022Save the Children
15/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education for Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/01/2022Education for Nature - Viet Nam (ENV)
04/03/2022WHO - World Health Organization