Location, Country: Hanoi (VNM)
Language skills: English
Expected Starting Date: 01 November 2021
Duration: 12 months with possiblity of extension
Application deadline: 02 August 2021
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
The Government of Viet Nam issued a national action plan on controlling air quality in 2016, and a Directive No 03 dated 18/01/2021 to strengthen air quality control, in which the Ministry of Health was assigned to propose measures to mitigate health effects from air pollution.
The Ministry of Health of Viet Nam requested WHO to provide technical supports in (1) development of a set of advisories on health preventive measures of air pollution for communities and dissemination of advisories to protect human health in mass media channels (2) strengthening advocacy to the government on health impacts from air pollution and (3) technical supports in improving national policies and strategies, implementing national action plans in combating air pollution to protect public health. The UN Volunteer (Air Pollution specialist) will work closely with Technical Officer in Environmental Health under supervision of the UHC-HLE Team Co-ordinator.
Under the direct supervision of the UHC-HLE Team Coordinator, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
Task 1: Development of a set of advisories on health preventive measures of air pollution for communities and dissemination of advisories to protect human health in mass media channels
- Reviewing related documents and drawing lessons learnt/international experience from Asian countries and other countries in the world on guidelines for health prevention, warning delivery systems and practice, including the process from setting up a database of air pollution and health impacts to warning delivery system. Conducting assessment of the international experience and adapting to the context of Viet Nam
- Collecting (1) available information/data on air quality and air pollution in Viet Nam from MONRE, (2) air-pollution related health problems from MOH for developing air quality and health database and an appropriate advisories delivery system.
- Providing technical supports to the process of (i) Developing a set of advisories on health preventive measures of air pollution for communities; (ii) Consulting relevant departments, universities, specialized hospitals and experts from MOH and MONRE for improving the set of advisories and the delivery system through consultation meetings/workshops; (iii) Piloting the advisories delivery system on mass media; (iv) Finalizing the set of advisories on health preventive measures of air pollution for communities and the advisories delivery system and (v) Submission to MoH for approval of the set of advisories on health preventive measures of air pollution for communities.
Task 2: Strengthening advocacy to the government on health impacts from air pollution
- Using international experience to recommend measures for improvement of the national approach and methodology of evidence collection, research process for heath impacts.
- Joining a Technical Working Group on air pollution, stakeholders' consultation workshops to share international experience and practice in advocacy on health impacts from air pollution and recommendations for improvement of advocacy on health impacts from air pollution
Task 3: Technical supports in improving national policies and strategies, implementing national action plans in combating air pollution to protect public health
- Reviewing national policies, strategies, action plans and intervention solutions to identify gaps for improvement based on international experience
- Proposing changes in implementation of the national action plan
Task 4: Perform other duties as requested/required by the WHO Vietnam office and UHC-HLE team
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
Required degree level
Master degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Areas of education / specialization: Environmental engineering, environmental science, public health. A first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise
Sustainable natural resources management and climate change adaptation, Other energy, environment and climate change related experience
Area of expertise details
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in environmental health, environmental management with a focus of air quality projects or programmes; including the experience and knowledge of monitoring air quality, air pollution and health impacts and the health sector in Vietnam or ASEAN countries is strong asset, as is experience working in the WHO or other UN/international development organization;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Desirable: valid national driver's license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 over rough terrain; (if not applicable, delete)
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in the mission of promoting the UN Sustainable Development Goals especially the goal on Universal Health Coverage (UHC) through stronger regulatory systems, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsAPPLY HERE Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position Du lịch nhật bản, hướng dẫn du lịch Nhật và đánh giá địa điểm Nhật Bản Japan travel news, japan travel guides, japan holiday destinations and japan reviews
01/08/2021Catholic Relief Services
08/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG))
06/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG)
01/08/2021Management and Sustainable Development Institute
10/08/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Asia for Animals Coalition Assistant - Farm Animals / Animals Asia Animal Welfare Assistant – Farm AnimalsAnimals Asia
15/08/2021Cục Y tế dự phòng
30/07/2021Save the Children
08/08/2021Action On Poverty
National Experts to develop the regulations on environmental industry in the Guiding Decree to the Law on Environmental Protection 2020 in Viet NamHanns Seidel Foundation
International Expert to develop the regulations on environmental industry in the Guiding Decree to the Law on Environmental Protection 2020 in Viet NamHanns Seidel Foundation
10/08/2021Batik International Việt Nam