|Term Duration:||3 years 0 months|
|Recruitment Type:||International Recruitment|
|Location:||Washington, DC,United States|
|Preferred Language(s):||French, Spanish|
|Closing Date:||1/23/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC|
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
- an average of 35% of its own-account long-term finance commitments will finance climate related activities
- 85% of new IFC investments will be Paris Aligned by July 2023 and 100% will be Paris Aligned by July 2025; and
- 100% of IFC projects will be screened for climate risk by the end of FY2023.
MAS Climate Business helps to deliver IFC’s climate strategies and targets. Our platform comprises a network of investment professionals, industry specialists, analysts and other staff that work with MAS sector teams and clients to build and finance a pipeline of climate investments. MAS Climate Business crafts strategies, develops tools, and engages in business development with clients to promote IFC’s expertise and climate financing products for investments in energy efficiency, renewable energy, green buildings, circular economy, climate smart agriculture, sustainable forestry and other decarbonization pathways. We help clients to achieve their climate strategies and commitments in their operations and in their supply chains. We look to scale proven abatement/adaptation technologies and to pilot select innovative technologies that our clients want to implement. We identify new business models and approaches that can be replicated and scaled.
The World Bank defines Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) as an approach to managing landscapes—cropland, livestock, forests, fisheries—that aims to achieve three “wins”: (1) Increased productivity to improve food security and boost farmers’ incomes; (2) Enhanced resilience to drought, pests, disease and other shocks; (3) Reduced GHG emissions. IFC seeks to contribute to CSA by providing investments and advisory operations that contribute to these three pillars of CSA. IFC promotes CSA through our work with private sector clients to sustainably increase food production on existing agricultural land and reduce the operational environmental footprint of food manufacturing. In CSA, IFC focuses on three strategic themes: (i) Improving yield and productivity of land while reducing input use and GHG emissions per ton of output, especially through precision farming and regenerative or conservation agricultural practices, (ii) Sustainably increasing productivity and reducing the GHG intensity and resource footprint of animal protein production, and (iii) Reducing post-harvest losses in supply chains globally.
MAS Climate Business is seeking an Associate/ Industry Specialist, Climate Smart Agriculture, to support our climate work, and specifically, to help us expand our CSA investment program.
- Prepare concise reports and presentations with logical climate arguments of CSA interventions and investments, clearly demonstrating expected climate impacts and business benefits.
- Analyze the climate / environmental / business benefits from adopting improved agricultural practices, sustainability certifications, and making CSA related investments. Utilize different tools (including Gleam-I and IFC’s Food Loss GHG Calculator) to estimate climate impacts.
- Engage with various internal stakeholders to help coordinate the Paris Alignment process for MAS’s Agri-Forestry sector investments.
- Discuss and share knowledge with IFC investment and advisory teams and with clients on CSA; prepare case studies on relevant IFC projects for internal and external audiences.
- Support the development of CSA related tools that are relevant to MAS clients.
- Participate in discussions with existing or prospective clients in the agroforestry sector to understand their strategies, business models and operations from a climate standpoint. Prepare list of questions that can be shared with the client regarding the climate risks and GHG reduction opportunities in their operations and planned investments. Support MAS teams/clients with market-based climate financings.
- Support the Senior Climate Smart Agriculture Industry Specialist with market research, reviewing reports, business development and other tasks as requested.
- Liaise with World Bank Agriculture and Climate Change Global Practices for knowledge sharing, coordinate with MAS sector teams and specialists where appropriate.
- Commitment to IFC and the World Bank Group’s mission, strategy, and values.
- Advanced degree in an appropriate discipline (e.g. agriculture, environmental sciences or related field).
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience in international organizations and/or in the private sector.
- Hands on experience in agribusiness sector and on relevant climate change (mitigation and/or adaptation; carbon markets) topics for the role is sought.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and sound business judgment to identify issues and present creative and practical solutions.
- Knowledge of technologies such as climate smart fertilizer use, efficient irrigation, regenerative agriculture, sustainable forestry management, animal/agri waste management, cold-chain development, improved logistics and storage, among others, is helpful.
- Knowledge of climate financing products (Sustainability Linked Loans, Green Loans / Bonds, Blue Loans / Bonds…) knowledge of carbon finance / carbon credit markets is a plus.
- Strong business sense on what motivates private sector strategic and investment priorities, what is / is not economically viable; ability to exercise good judgment and selectivity on where to prioritize focus given the internal and external audience.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams, attention to detail and drive for results. Experience in multi-stakeholder project management a strong plus.
- Ability to work independently to develop solutions and quickly course correct post-feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and demands in fast paced environment.
- High level of energy, initiative and self-motivation; and willingness to travel.
- High degree of discretion, ethics, and sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. French or Spanish a plus.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.APPLY HERE
07/02/2022Save the Children
17/02/2022Save the Children
15/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education for Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/01/2022Education for Nature - Viet Nam (ENV)
04/03/2022WHO - World Health Organization