Job Category: FCDO Services
Job Subcategory: Communications, Press and Media
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of role:
The British Embassy Hanoi is part of a worldwide network of 230 posts representing British interests around the world. The Chevening programme is the UK Government’s international scholarship scheme, which enables outstanding emerging leaders from all over the world to pursue one-year master’s degrees in the UK to provide the solutions and leadership needed to create a positive change around the world and build lasting positive relationships with the UK.
We are currently looking to recruit a Chevening Officer (maternity cover) at Grade B3. The appointment will be on a 7 months fixed term contract.
The Chevening Officer will manage the UK network’s Chevening scholarship programme, pro-actively engage with current Chevening scholars in the UK and Chevening alumni to manage the selection process; publicise the Chevening programme, including the Chevening Wales campaign, develop and deliver a strategic communications plan to attract high calibre applicants and work with the Embassy, Consulate-General and alumni community to develop the relationship between the UK and alumni.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Lead the promotion of Chevening to attract a large number of excellent scholars from a wide range of fields and geographical areas in Vietnam
- Developing and delivering the strategic communications plan for the Chevening programme.
- Leading the promotion and marketing of Chevening scholarships programme in Vietnam, increasing awareness of the programme in Vietnam and attracting a wide range of excellent scholars
- Managing the Chevening Wales campaign, raising the profile of Welsh education in general and the Chevening Wales programme specifically, attracting high calibre scholars to apply for the additional Chevening Wales places and developing and testing new promotional strategies.
Manage the Chevening selection and interview process
- Coordinating the Chevening selection and interview process to ensure the highest calibre of scholar
- Assisting with interviews
- Liaising with teams within the Embassy and Consulate General during the selection process
Engage with Chevening alumni and scholars
- Supporting Chevening scholars before they travel to the UK
- Engaging with Chevening alumni in Vietnam and deepening the UK network’s relationship with them.
- Deepening and broadening scholars experience and contacts base in the UK, liaising with the UK, Embassy and Consulate colleagues to broaden their experience and share their “Chevening journies” to help create a positive impression of the programme and education in the UK.
Manage the Chevening partnership in Vietnam
- Managing current sponsoring partnerships for Chevening programme
- Pro-actively seeking for new partnership to expand the programme
- Working with sponsors to deepen scholars’ and alumni’s relationships with sponsors both in Vietnam and the UK
Manage Chevening budget
- Managing the Chevening budget ensuring values for money of Chevening activities
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
- Proven experience of project and event management
- Able to work to tight deadlines and multi-task effectively
- Good team-working skills and the ability to develop productive relationships with other teams around the network
Language: English and Vietnamese
Level of language required: Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Vietnamese are essential for this role.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification and/or relevant experience
- Familiarity with UK culture and education
- Knowledge of using social media for campaigns
Required competencies: Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace, Demonstrating Resilience
Application deadline : 20 January 2022
Grade : B3 (L)
Type of Position : Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week : 35
Duration of Post: 7 months
Region: Asia Pacific
Location (City): Hanoi
Type of Post British Embassy
Number of vacancies 1
Salary Currency VND
Salary VND 33,993,894 per month
Start Date 1 March 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This position being advertised is for a maternity cover of seven (7) months.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is committed to developing its staff, working hard to provide a comprehensive L&D offer. Staff have access to a wide variety of online resources through the Diplomatic Academy and Civil Service Learning. Staff are strongly encouraged to take advantage of all the available opportunities.
The job-holder will be required to take some specific training courses related to their role. All new staff undertake a workplace induction and there are a number of mandatory e-learning courses covering areas such as diversity, health and safety, and information management.
The British Embassy is committed to being a learning and development organisation and encourages all staff to pursue continued learning and development in the workplace. We offer a supportive and friendly working environment where staff work to the values of: integrity, honesty, objectivity and impartiality. Everyone is encouraged to take responsibility, be innovative and work together.
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package including salary, leave entitlement, flexible working patterns, medical package for staff and dependants, and opportunities for learning and development.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks. Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. Visa sponsorship may be possible for non-Vietnamese nationals if meet local requirements.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Disabled and ethnic minority applicants will be invited to interviews if meeting the minimum requirement of the job.
This role will require office based work at the British Embassy in Hanoi with little scope for remote or flexible working.
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Vietnam Time) on the day of the deadline indicated above.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. Only shortlisted candidates for interview will be contacted. Interviewees will be assessed on the core competencies listed above. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified via the system in due time.
Indicated start date is provisional and subject to successful completion of reference and security checks.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
Please check the application centre regularly for any update on your application.
07/02/2022Save the Children
17/02/2022Save the Children
15/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education For Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/02/2022Education for Nature - Vietnam (ENV)
28/01/2022Education for Nature - Viet Nam (ENV)
28/02/2022Vietnam Public Health Association (VPHA)