TERMS OF REFERENCE
Consultant to provide technical support and coaching for SMES on inclusive business for the “Inclusive and sustainable clam and bamboo value chain development in Vietnam (SCBV)” Project1. BACKGROUND Clam and bamboo production are considered as important livelihood alternatives and business opportunities for small scale producers (SSPs) and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in Vietnam. The unique clams and bamboo production of Vietnam have a good and growing demand in the domestic, regional and world markets. Currently, annual export value of bamboo sector reaches US $250 million/per year while clam obtains a total annual revenue of US $200 million. There are around 1.5 million SSPs in Vietnam whose households live on incomes from clams and bamboo. However, there are still many challenges due to unsustainable production practices by SSPs and MSMEs which causes serious economic, social and environmental impacts. The linkage and relationship between various actors have been fragmented and inefficient, inequitable and non-transparent which negatively affect product quality and traceability that decrease products’ competitiveness globally. Limited access to financial resources of SSPs and SME processors is also a barrier for them to expand production and comply with required standards. Moreover, women have limited opportunities to engage in decision-making despite they account for the majority of clam and bamboo SSPs and MSME workers. Value chains’ governance structures are underdeveloped and not fully supportive to sustainable production and inclusive decision making. In this context, Oxfam in Vietnam in partnership with Research Center for Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFPRC), International Collaborating Centre for Aquaculture and Fisheries Sustainability (ICAFIS), Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) implementsthe 4-year project “Inclusive and Sustainable Clam and Bamboo Value Chain Development in Vietnam” (SCBV) which is funded by the European Union during the period of 2018 - 2022. The Project will focus mainly on the 5 provinces: Tien Giang, Ben Tre, Tra Vinh (clam value chain) and Thanh Hoa & Nghe An (bamboo value chain-VC). The project contributes to reducing poverty and inequality in rural areas of Vietnam through facilitating the adoption and practice of sustainable standardsby clam and bamboo producers and processors; improving access to market and finance as well as production efficiency; empowering small-scale producers and working with public-private alliances for good value chain governance. One of key project interventions is to establish and promote inclusive business (IB) models in both clam and bamboo sectors. Therefore, Oxfam in Vietnam is looking for an IB expert to work with Oxfam/ SCBV project team to provide technical support and coaching services to strengthen the inclusiveness of business models of MSMEs in clams and bamboo value chains. It will contribute to address the issues of poverty, inequality, unfair share of benefits and risk in the value chain. 2. OBJECTIVES The overall aim of the consultancy service is to provide technical support and coaching services to strengthen/ initiate inclusive business model of MSMEs in clams and bamboo value chains. The specific objectives of the consultancy service are:
- MSMEs in clam and bamboo value chains are inspired about inclusive business approach and are equipped with knowledge about inclusive business concept and practices, including nature of IB, IB models and its function, current status, successful and development trends of IB in Vietnam and the world, particularly in agriculture and aquaculture sectors.
- Key/selected MSMEs in clam and bamboo value chains are able to develop and implement long-term IB strategy and action plan to strengthen IB approach application and initiative IB practices/ models.
- Desk review: Analysis/review of existing and relevant documents such as the SCBV project documents and other documents relating to Oxfam’s inclusive business works.
- To design overall capacity building and coaching program on promoting/strengthening inclusive business models of MSMEs in clam and bamboo value chains.
- Deliver two in-depth training/workshops on IB for MSMEs in clam and bamboo value chains.
- Mapping out current IB practices of 15-20 MSMEs in clam and bamboo value chains which recognizing of enhancing IB approach, identifying target groups of IB models, identifying their needs and opportunities for IB model in Clam and/or Bamboo value chain, areas of further improving IB in their current practices.
- Provide technical support and coaching selected SMEs (5-10 enterprises) to develop IB strategy and action plan to implement IB initiatives/practices (consultant will work directly/coach each SME to develop IB strategy and plan).
- Regular supervise selected SMES to well perform/ implement the agreed IB plan.
- Document and regular review the process and application of IB approach of selected SMEs (at least every 6 months).
- Collaborate with Oxfam/SCBV project team to organize a learning workshop to share good IB practices and cases and inspire other MSMEs in clam and bamboo VC to apply IB approach application into their business.
- To provide a coaching report with documentation and recommendation for Oxfam and partners to develop and promote inclusive business in clam and bamboo value chains.
- Provide technical support and coaching selected SMEs (5-10 enterprises) to develop IB strategy and action plan to implement IB initiatives/practices
- Regular supervise selected SMES to well perform/ implement the agreed IB plan
- At least Master’s degrees in economics, agri-business, business administration or other related fields.
- Proven experience (at least 10 years) on Business creating social impact, inclusive business.
- Strong understanding on social impact business sector in Vietnam.
- Good understanding of and being familiar with development projects, preferably including on issues of value chain development, rural economic development, social issues in aquaculture and agricultural sectors.
- Commitment to inclusiveness and gender equality with demonstrated experience in integrating gender and diversity issues into business activities.
- Be committed to and able to meet the deadline.
- Strong facilitation and coaching skills as well as be familiar with participatory approaches.
- Introduction of the Consultant’s profile and related experience (Consultant CV);
- Technical proposal achieving all expected objectives within mentioned timeframe;
- Financial proposal that specifies number of working days required and consultancy rate.
Post date: 03/08/2021Animal Asia UNDP
30/09/2021ASEAN Youth Organization
15/08/2021Tổ chức Đại học Pháp ngữ (AUF)
23/08/2021Save the Children
12/08/2021USAID Learns/Social Impact
08/08/2021Save the Children