SNV is a global development partner, working on the core themes of gender equality and social inclusion, climate adaptation and mitigation, and strong institutions and effective governance, with a focus on the Agri-Food, Energy, and Water sectors.
The role of Country Director is critical for the success of SNV and reports directly to the Managing Director Countries. The Country Director Vietnam will spearhead SNV’s business development and operational engagement in the country.
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, results-oriented and experienced professional who will lead the Vietnam country team in securing and realising the implementation of high-quality programs in SNV’s sectors.
SNV offers the successful candidate a challenging position in an evolving economic environment in the country. The current EUR 38 million program portfolio includes support from the Governments of Australia, Germany, The Netherlands, and the United States, as well as from development banks and private sector investors tied to carbon credit mechanisms. Efforts to mitigate and adapt to climate change are at the centre of these programs in support of the Government of Vietnam’s goal to become carbon neutral by the year 2050.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country program. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on upscaling and strategically strengthening the country program, ensuring high-quality delivery of projects, and securing adequate funding to sustain and grow operations. The Country Director needs to be well informed about national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. The Country Director is expected to forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. She/he will also be the face of SNV in the country and ensure its positive image and visibility.
The Country Director leads, coaches and supports a team of professionals to perform at their best to meet and exceed client, donor and SNV expectations. In addition, she/he will be a key member of SNV’s global senior leadership team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
- Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation (including project director roles) ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and compliance with SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
- Strong and supportive leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork at all levels;
- Business development to grow the country program, ensure financial sustainability of SNV Vietnam and ensure a high-quality project design;
- Strategic leadership of the program including multi-country efforts within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
- Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
- In addition, the Country Director fosters innovation of SNV products and services: facilitates learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; and ensures collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
- At least 8 years of relevant management experience at the strategic level;
- Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three sectors, including familiarity with key financiers and actors in SNV’s three sectors;
- Strong management skills including track record in financial management and human resources;
- Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and entrepreneurial skills
- Demonstrated business development experience in winning large tenders and grants from multilateral development banks and bilateral donors;
- Excellent track record in mobilising resources from the public and private sector, including strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Proven ability of establishing partnerships and consortia;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven track record in project management including familiarity with donor-funded project procedures and processes;
- Ability to relate with and manage relationships with government at national, sub-national and local levels;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Culturally aware, tactful and open-minded;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required.
- Contract Type: Fulltime position
- Contract Duration: 3 years initial contract, with the possibility of renewal
- Desired Start Date: as soon as possible
- Information Duty Station: Hanoi, Vietnam
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org/careers.
SNV strives to be an inclusive employer, thriving on the diversity of its people and does not discriminate on the basis of disability status, religion, ethnic origin, gender and sexual orientation, etc.
How to apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 14th of September.
Reference check and vetting
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
SNV carries out rigorous background and reference checks concerning possible safeguarding incidents for all candidates applying for International determined positions. As SNV participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a request to past employers to fill in a questionnaire regarding Misconduct (sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment), the “Statement of Conduct". This Statement of Conduct adopts the definitions used in the Scheme.
For further information and application, access HERE.
US Consulate HCMC
06/10/2023Save the Children
11/10/2023Humanitarian Services for Children of Vietnam (HSCV)
04/10/2023Save the Children
15/10/2023US Embassy Hanoi