Application Deadline :
08-Dec-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left :
7d 15h 30m
Type of Contract :
Post Level :
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)16-Dec-2019
Duration of Initial Contract :
30 days over 10 months period
Expected Duration of Assignment :
30 days over 10 months period
REFER A FRIEND APPLY NOW
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN Volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive, and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity, as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity. UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany with an office in New York and has five regional offices in Amman, Bangkok, Dakar, Nairobi and Panama.
The Volunteer Advisory Services Section (VASS) enhances UNV’s proactive capacity to mainstream volunteerism into peace and development initiatives through research, the generation of knowledge and evidence and the provision of technical advisory services to UN member states on research, measurement and volunteer infrastructure. In line with this, VASS is leading the development of a knowledge portal which will serve as a go-to space for accessing up-to-date global, regional, and national data related to volunteerism.
Its main features include a global Volunteering Database
- UNV’s unique offer which will sketch the global volunteering landscape. Originally developed by VASS, the database which is currently on Excel covers 120 countries and contains the following data sets: list of legislation; ILO-UNV measurement activities; and mentions of volunteering in Voluntary National Reviews . During the second half of 2019 through the first quarter of 2020, the database will be expanded to cover country profiles, volunteer numbers (accessible through ILOSTATS), policies relevant to volunteering, as well as other relevant data sets and evidence products. In addition to data and statistics, the portal will feature a Good Practice and Evidence Library
which will consolidate good practice and evidence products from UNV and other partners focusing initially on cross cutting thematic areas such as measurement, gender, climate change, youth and inequality and other on demand topics that will help enhance our understanding of the contribution of volunteering to a specific development topic. For more information about the knowledge portal, see the working prototype: https://invis.io/DZTQO8WEAJ6#/382253828_Knowledge_Portal_Prototype-001
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance by the Programme Specialist, Plan of Action Knowledge, the consultant will support the further improvements and maintenance of the global Volunteering Database. Specifically, the consultant will:
1. Database improvements and data management, including uploading, cleaning and maintenance.
- Implement necessary improvements on the Volunteering Database based on the data and reporting requirements of the knowledge portal for the purposes of data storage, analysis/queries, visualization, integrations, automated connections with external data sources, and data transfer/sharing.
- Manage the data inputs and cleaning in both Volunteering Database and Good Practice/Evidence Library including merging data from different sources, inputting raw data sets, new entries of knowledge products and case stories, writing a program for cleaning data, ensuring correct syntax , tagging and consistency in country names according to UN guidelines, links, and metadata
- Develop highly visual and interactive Power BI reports based on the agreed data sets
- Develop recommendations to inform the overall technical development of the knowledge portal, allowing for data storage, privacy controls, data inputs, editing and transfer/sharing (could include data mining, AI, machine learning)
Data will need to be collected from UNV regional and country offices and partners by the Programme Specialist, Plan of Action Knowledge. The consultant will support the merging of files, uploading and creation of data entries in the database.
The consultant will also write the program for cleaning and uploading data as well as test these procedures. Specifically the consultant will:
2. Integration with the knowledge portal.
- Make necessary improvements to the database (ensuring list of countries are correct and in line with UN Member States official names and status)
- Merge and aggregate data sets from different sources ensuring consistency in syntax and values
- Enter, create new data entries and extract data from database
- Write the program or procedure for cleaning and uploading data
- Visualize data through Power BI app
The consultant will liaise with the Knowledge portal web developer and recommend functionalities for integrating the database including:
3. Data entries and integration with Good Practice and Evidence Library
- Which web-enabled platform should be used?
- How should data security management (access, erasure, security, privacy) be ensured?
- What procedures should be used to enable integration of data across databases?
- How should interactive visualization be handled?
- What procedures should be used to enable sharing/publication of visualizations?
The consultant will support the upload of new entries in the evidence library and good practice database, ensuring consistent tagging and integration with the Volunteering database.
Outputs/deliverables and timelines
- Database improvement plan - 1 day - 20 December 2019
- Data management, including data entry, collection and merging from different sources and cleaning up of existing data – 10 days - 13 January 2020
- Creation of charts, graphs and other data visualization on Excel and/or PowerBI or other visualization tools – 2 days - 20 January 2020
- Liaising with Knowledge portal web developer – 2 days - 28 February 2020
- Ongoing maintenance of database, including adding new datasets, upload of relevant knowledge products in the Evidence Library and other improvements - 15 days - 30 October 2020
Total number of days : 30 days
- Proven track record in database management
- Advanced knowledge and skills in using tools such as Excel and mySQL.
- Ability to quickly grasp the topic, contextualize and solicit and reflect inputs gathered
- Ability to work independently and remotely, meeting tight deadlines as required
- Communication, coordination and knowledge of management skills
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced degree (Masters level) in a relevant field (computer science, data/information management, social sciences). (A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree).
- Minimum 3 years’ experience related to data management and archiving, including use of web-enabled platforms
- Prior experience with data management of data sets from developing countries is highly desirable.
Excellent command of English, particularly written; other UN languages an asset.
Criteria for Selection of the best Offer:
The selection of the best offer will be based on the combined scoring method, where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted 70 percent, and then combined with the price offer, which will be weighted 30 percent.
Key selection criteria are
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience related to data management/database development, data entry and archiving, including use of web-enabled platforms and common statistical analysis tools (45%)
- Experience in data management of data sets from developing countries (20%)
- Knowledge of development and volunteerism (5%)
Applicants have to provide a technical and financial proposal.
The technical proposal
shall consist of:
- Motivation Letter describing their interest in the assignment and why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Latest personal CV or P11, including past experience in similar projects and at least three references
- A technical proposal: shall describe the methodology and the approach on how to fulfil the required deliverables as well as outline the major components of its implementation;
- Work sample: Link to a database or project document
The financial proposal
shall consist of
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION
Qualified women and members of social minorities are encouraged to apply. Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are only able to inform the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
How to Submit the Application
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Merge your Cover Letter, CV, Technical Proposal and Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability (including the financial proposal) into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
Queries should be sent to : email@example.com
, clearly marking: 0094031: Data management consultant for online portal
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
For your reference, kindly find the link to Individual Contract template and General Terms and Conditions.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
REFER A FRIEND APPLY NOW
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position
Du lịch nhật bản, hướng dẫn du lịch Nhật và đánh giá địa điểm Nhật Bản
Japan travel news, japan travel guides, japan holiday destinations and japan reviews
Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
All the latest news in Vietnam
Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất