Job ID: 29056
Practice Area – Job Family: Management
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 06/03/2020
Duty Station: Istanbul, Turkey
Education & Work Experience: I-Master’s Level Degree – 10 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
This position is based in Istanbul, Turkey and reporting to the Ombudsman for United Nations Funds and Programmes in New York.
The Office of the Ombudsman for United Nations Funds and Programmes (the ‘Office of the Ombudsman’) acts for five UN Funds and Programmes (UNDP / UNFPA / UNICEF / UNOPS / UN Women) and is an independent, confidential, neutral and informal dispute resolution resource to provide a safe place, in which all staff members and related personnel to freely bring forward workplace issues or concerns.
The Office of the Ombudsman functions as an independent pillar of the integrated Office of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services (‘UNOMS’).
Reporting to the Ombudsman for United Nations Funds and Programmes (the ‘Ombudsman’), the incumbent addresses grievances raised by staff and related personnel of UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF, UNOPS, and UN Women (the ‘Funds and Programmes’). The Deputy Ombudsman for Funds and Programmes (the ‘Deputy Ombudsman’) is subject to United Nations Staff Regulations and Rules as well as the applicable policies of the contracting organization responsible for administrative oversight. The objective of the services of the Deputy Ombudsman is conciliation by seeking mutually acceptable solutions through informal means. The Deputy Ombudsman will aim at fostering a harmonious and productive work environment, thereby contributing to the greater organizational and operational efficiency.
The work of the Office of the Ombudsman has evolved both in terms of the type of services rendered and the complexity of the cases managed. This newly created role and function of the Deputy Ombudsman are responsive to these changes. The Deputy Ombudsman is a skilled workplace conflict resolution professional and an experienced people manager. He or she is responsible for providing conflict resolutions services, but also for supporting the Ombudsman in the oversight of the office operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Ombudsman, the Deputy Ombudsman is responsible for the following duties:
- Provide an impartial, independent and informal conflict-resolution mechanism for the settlement of employment-related problems for staff members and related personnel of the Funds and Programmes;
- Identify and analyze policies, procedures and practices within the organizations that cause tension or conflict as well as interpret trends;
- Provide training in conflict management and mediation techniques to the personnel in the Funds and Programmes;
- Raise awareness among staff members and related personnel about the functions and mandate of the Office of the Ombudsman;
- Participate in the development of practices, procedures, standards and policies of UNOMS, as delegated by the Ombudsman;
- Contribute to the preparation of an annual report providing practical recommendations for systemic improvement;
- Assist the Ombudsman in the overall administration of the office including on budget and human resources management by formulating and implementing the work plan, leading personnel performance management and development processes and ensuring that programmed activities are carried out as planned;
- Travel frequently to field offices of the Funds and Programmes, as required, to deal with cases, provide training and increase awareness; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Ombudsman.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Demonstrates ability to remain autonomous and objective in the analysis of a diverse range of issues.
- As a designated neutral party, remains impartial and pursues no personal interest, holds no stake in the outcome of an issue. Considers the legitimate concerns and interests of all affected individuals.
- Maintains strict confidentiality concerning matters that are brought to their attention and takes every reasonable step to safeguard confidential and privileged information. (The ombudsman shall not be compelled by any United Nations official to provide information about concerns brought to his or her attention.)
- Addresses work-related issues through informal means, including mediation, listening, providing and receiving information, identifying and reframing issues, exploring a range of options and undertaking informal fact-finding. With the permission of the staff member, collaborates with other offices and services to resolve work-related concerns and conflicts while respecting the authority and mandate of the involved department or entity.
- Demonstrates a concern for and commitment to justice and fairness. Is guided by the UN Charter, the UN Staff Regulations and the Staff Rules, as well as the ICSC Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) or law is required. Master’s degrees in Human Resources, Organizational Behavior, Psychology, Counselling or other social sciences may be considered.
- Ten years of relevant professional experience, including six years at the international level in ADR and five years as an ombudsman or in an ombudsman office of an international organization is required. Comparable work experience as a mediator may be considered. Experience in litigation in the context of international organizations is a strong asset. UN work experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English with proficiency in French or Spanish is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is a strong asset.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position
- Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
31/01/2021USAID Learns/Social Impact
31/01/2021USAID Learns/Social Impact
07/02/2021Foundation of Youth Empowerment
28/02/2021The World Bank
09/02/2021Center for Community Health Research and Development (CCRD)
04/02/2021SOS Children's Villages Vietnam