Orbis is a global non-profit organization headquartered in New York that works to prevent and treat avoidable blindness through hands-on training, public health education, and improved access to quality eye care, through partnerships with local health care organizations. Since 1982, Orbis has been a pioneer in global eye health, and has worked in 92 countries. Orbis’s story began with our first Flying Eye Hospital, a fully-equipped mobile teaching hospital on board an aircraft. In addition to our Flying Eye Hospital programs, we have long-term programs in countries including Bangladesh, China, Ethiopia, India, South Africa, Vietnam and Zambia – with additional programs in parts of Latin America and the Caribbean. In Vietnam, Orbis has been working in Vietnam since 1996.
To support the project of strengthening Orbis’ global training program on Glaucoma sponsored by Santen Pharmaceutical Company, involving China, India and Vietnam, Orbis is developing training programs to improve the eye care capacity and establishing formal and continuing education programs for provinces’ doctors and health workers in the country. With a large number of specialized documents written by Orbis, translating related materials to popularize information on such disease works as part of the project to enhance training program, and assessing and treating capacities of Glaucoma in Vietnam. We are seeking a qualified candidate for the Editor position signed under consultant contract to evaluate and edit the translation to ensure its quality for publishment.
TERM OF REFERENCE
Glaucoma is a progressive optic neuropathy with characteristic optic nerve changes and functional visual field defects which in part is related to a raised intraocular pressure (IOP). The disease is characterized by typical pattern of damage to the optic nerve, loss of retinal ganglion cells, and thinning of the retinal nerve fibre layer. Glaucoma can be divided into two main types based on the morphology of the anterior chamber angle: there is the open angle and the angle closure glaucoma. These two types of glaucoma have different risk factors, different natural histories and different management. There are other forms of classification which include primary and secondary glaucoma depending on the aetiology of the glaucoma.
Glaucoma is the leading cause of irreversible blindness globally. An estimated 60.5 million persons were said to be affected by glaucoma in 2010. This is a huge problem worldwide, especially in developing countries. In Vietnam, Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness behind cataracts. It is estimated that 25,000 patients were blind due to Glaucoma. Although the disease can be managed with medical, laser, and surgical forms of treatment, few doctor and health worker equip enough essential knowledge for Glaucoma assessment and treatment. In the project of strengthening Orbis’ global training program on Glaucoma sponsored by Santen Pharmaceutical Company, involving China, India and Vietnam, Orbis is developing training programs to improve the eye care capacity and establishing formal and continuing education programs for provinces’ doctors and health workers in the country. With a large number of specialized documents written by Orbis, translating related materials to popularize information on such disease works as part of the project to enhance training program, and assessing and treating capacities of Glaucoma in Vietnam.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Provide evaluation and edition to the translated documents for accuracy and consistency of terms, content and format
- Liaise with supervisor, manager or reviewer to ensure the quality of translations
- Attend meetings to discuss on the translations (if needed)
- Being an expert in Glaucoma is prioritised
- Degree(s) from a university or institution of equivalent status in Ophthalmology or English study is required
- Proven experience as chief editor, main editor for medical or ophthalmology training materials and textbooks
- Excellent in both Vietnamese and English skills
- Must have excellent analytical, writing and translation skills
- Proven ability to produce within established deadlines translation and edition work
OUTPUTS OR DELIVERABLES
Finalize the translation to meet the requirements of content, literary style, linguistic, format accuracy, and consistency according to standards of medical textbooks
TIMING AND ESTIMATED WORKING DAYS
Detailed tasks: Evaluate and edit the translation from content, wording to format (if required) to ensure the quality for publishment
Working days: 15 days
For more details as well as a Vietnamese version of the Job description, please click HERE.
Any applicant who has an interest in this job, please submit your application either by email or by post to the following address:
Orbis International in Vietnam R303-304, E4B Building, Trung Tu Diplomatic Compound #6 Dang Van Ngu Street, Hanoi, Vietnam Email: email@example.com Closing date for applications: Fri, March 12th 2021, with interviews afterward.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. No telephone contact.Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position
- Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
27/04/2021British Embassy Hanoi
04/05/2021British Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City
03/05/2021Viện Lãnh đạo ABG
05/05/2021USAID Learns/Social Impact
23/04/2021FIT & IRD