We are seeking an Environmental Economist to support a growing environmental and natural resources management program in Vietnam. The program supports the government in sustainable management of natural asset (such as forest and coastal ecosystems, fisheries, soils, etc.), protect the environment including pollution management (air, plastics waste, HCPFs, etc.) and climate change mitigation/adaptation. Prior experience in international development is not necessary; rather, we are seeking hard working and ambitious individuals that would like to join a strong team of experts to support Vietnam’s green and clean growth ambition. The role is based in Hanoi but expect to travel as needed to other part of the country.
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
III. Global Practice Context
Sustainable environment, natural resources management and the blue economy is at the heart of the WBG's poverty reduction and shared prosperity agenda. It promotes a green, clean, and resilient world where natural resources – from forests to fisheries, freshwater, oceans, coastal zones and ecosystems – are managed to support livelihoods and strong economies. It builds a world better prepared for shocks and global challenges, helping countries limit their exposure to resource scarcity and negative health impacts, more-volatile weather patterns, and the long-term consequences of climate change.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy (ENB) Global Practice has been set-up to deliver on the opportunities, benefits and outcomes offered by enhanced management of the environment and natural resources. The ENB GP has close to 300 operations under management, representing close to $7 billion, and a growing pipeline of new investments under active development. The practice consists of some 275 staff across the world plus numerous other staff in other Practices.
The ENB Global Practice has three broad and distinct functions:
- Provides clients with lending and non-lending services aimed to support the GP’s three core business lines, namely: (i) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes; (ii) Marine, Coastal and Aquatic Resources; and (iii) Pollution Management and Environmental Health. The GP’s activities also include a focus on Clean and Resilient Growth through its work on environmental economics and support to institutional development.
- Supports effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development, in part through the implementation of the Bank’s environmental policies.
- Works closely with other sectors to mainstream environmental considerations into their policies, strategies, and operations.
IV. Regional Context
The East Asia and Pacific (EAP) Region presents a dramatic illustration of the global dynamics, opportunities and risks of the 21st century. After making the fastest progress in growth and poverty reduction of any region around the world in the last fifteen years, some countries in the region – such as Mongolia – are poised to become middle-income, and some are preparing to join the small group of high-income countries. Such a rapid transformation is leading to the largest shift in rural-to-urban population in human history, generating rising inequality within and across countries, leaving individuals and regions behind in the dash for prosperity. Meanwhile, the uncertainty in the advanced economies clouds the prospects for countries across the region which are being forced to adjust to changed growth and development prospects while addressing evolving impacts on macroeconomic stability, employment and poverty.
EAP comprises of more than 20 countries, including China, several MICs, LICs, and fragile states (EAP has the second highest number of fragile states amongst all the Bank regions). The Region is characterized by generally rapid growth, both sophisticated and low capacity borrowers, and some highly dynamic sectors. At the same time, EAP countries are faced with weak governance environments. The Bank's program in EAP is multi-faceted and has grown rapidly in recent years; the portfolio consists of nearly 88 operations for about $6.5 billion; and the TF program is significant (with a portfolio of about $1.2 billion). EAP consists of over 1000 staff with 25% in Washington and 75% based in the country offices in the six country management units (CMUs).
V. ENB Unit Context
EAP SEAE2 unit comprises about 40 staff, of whom about 70% are based in Country Offices in East Asia and the Pacific. The rest of the team is based in Washington DC. All report to a Practice Manager based in Sydney. The unit works closely with SEAE1 (China, Indonesia and the Pacific Island Countries) and manages a full spectrum of environment, climate change, green growth and natural resource lending and non-lending tasks, as well as the environment safeguards function for the above-mentioned countries.
VI. Vietnam Country Program Context
Currently Vietnam’s portfolio consists of more than 65 active operations in energy, transport, water, environment and climate change, urban, rural and social development, agriculture, health, and education sectors. Particular features include large infrastructure: hydropower, electricity transmission and distribution, transport and road and inland waterway infrastructure, urban development, port development and logistics, water supply and sanitation. Infrastructure development also covers natural resources management and nature-based solutions, disaster mitigation, climate change, and integrated rural development. The work program for the Environment Natural Resource and Blue Economy (ENB) team falls into the following areas:
- Providing technical input and advice to sector projects and programs and ensuring compliance of the EAP operations with the Bank’s environmental safeguard policies;
- Leading the Bank's work—including policy and investment lending and non-lending operations—on environmental management (with a focus on air quality management, solid waste management, industrial pollution and marine plastics); natural asset management (including mainstreaming the use of natural assets for growth); and strengthening the blue economy (with a focus on integrated coastal development, spatial planning, fisheries, multisectoral and marine spatial). The engagement spans strengthening institutional capacity, physical investments, policy formulation and development of regulatory instruments, planning, and innovative use of instruments and digital developments.; and
- Leading the Bank’s work on global environmental issues including the management of projects aimed at implementing international conventions supported through special financing mechanisms such as climate change (including informing and operationalizing the Government’s commitment in the post 2020 NDC, and biodiversity.)
VII. Duties & Accountabilities
ENB team in Vietnam is seeking to recruit an Environmental Economist/Consultant to be based at the Hanoi World Bank office. Working under the supervision of task team, the selected candidate will provide support across the portfolio of on-going and planned projects and analytics. He/she will report to the EAP SEAE2 Practice Manager based in Sydney but work under close supervision of the ENB Sector Coordinator based in Hanoi. Key responsibilities are:
- Provide analytical support in carrying out economic analysis of environmental and natural resource management issues in Vietnam.
- Provide analytical support on writing a report on economics of environmental degradation focusing on private and public consequences under different policy scenarios.
- Provide analytical support to policy brief on economic incentive schemes to promote green, clean and resilient growth, including but not limited to carbon pricing, payments for ecosystem services, ecological fiscal transfer schemes, ecotourism development, phasing out single use plastics, air quality, etc.
- Provide support in delivery of technical assistance to key government counterparts as needed, especially in issues related to economic instruments for environmental sustainability.
- Support the team's contribution to knowledge products through the preparation of documentation and publications on best practices for the integration of ENB core business lines into national and sectoral development strategies and programs.
- Provide inputs for and present major/complex reports, including the supervision, coordination and quality control of consultant reports.
- Provide support on engagement with the government and other partners (NGOs, private sector, international organizations) in promoting the analytical work in relevant policy dialogues.
- Provide support in coordination and review workshops on analytical work as necessary.
- Provide support the launch and dissemination of relevant knowledge products as needed.
- Other support as needed.
The selected candidate will have the deliverables:
- Just in time reports including presentations on project/analytics, strategies etc.;
- Analysis and reports based on desk research and consultations presented in succinct write ups aided by presentations;
- Mission and project organization activities;
- Aide memoire inputs;
- Inputs to technical documents including projects papers, analytical reports, etc.; and
- Specific reports based on agreement with the task team.
IX. Work Period and Reporting
The consultant will report to Dinesh Aryal (ENB Coordinator) based in Hanoi. The work period is scheduled from April to December 2021 for a total of 100 days. The contact may be extended subject to performance and actual work requirement.
X. Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Advance degree (PhD or Masters) or above in environmental economics and other natural resources and economic-related fields.
- A minimum of 2 years of full time relevant professional experience using economic principles and analytical skills to inform operations and engagement in the environment/natural resources sector.
- Knowledge of environmental, natural resources management and related social issues, policies, data and institutions in Vietnam; experience in fiscal policy and finance is a plus.
- Excellent English language skills (writing, speaking, listening, and reading). Proficiency in Vietnamese language skills is desirable.
- Ability to work independently and with a team with limited supervision
- Strong social, facilitation, and communication skills; Ability to effectively communicate and provide guidance to clients and non-environmental specialists.
- Drive for Results - Proven ability to identify the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Proven ability to work on inter-disciplinary teams, staying organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
- Integrative Skills - Able to undertake cross-sectoral work, applying a climate/environment lens to lending and non-lending operations.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound logical decision-making regarding own and others' work.
- Communication - Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas, verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
- Ability to deliver in a dynamic environment with multiple demands and quick turnaround of outputs. Ability to work under pressure while retaining perspective and professionalism.
- Results oriented, with an ability to work independently as well as devise and produce results in collaboration with departments across the WBG.
- High degree of motivation, initiative, flexibility, reliability, and responsiveness to changing demands; capacity for effective multi-tasking, with demonstrated ability of being an independent starter with minimal supervision, and a high capacity to persevere for results.
- Highly developed communication and advocacy skills, including ability to write concisely and clearly in English and synthesize complex documentation and ideas into fluent, understandable, English.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and team management skills, with demonstrated ability to build strong networks and teams to achieve results. Strong team skills with successful history working effectively across organizational and units and/or sectoral boundaries.
- Knowledge of social media and other knowledge communications tools is an advantage.
Please send a cover letter highlighting relevant professional experiences and most recent resume to Mr. Dinesh Aryal (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a copy to Ms. Quyen Thuy Dinh (email@example.com) with “Vietnam ENB Environmental Economist Application” as email subject before April 4, 2021.Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position
- Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
30/04/2021Đại sứ quán Hoa Kỳ
16/04/2021Save the Children
20/04/2021GGGI - The Global Green Growth Institute
All year roundGIZ
19/04/2021World Vision International (WVV)