Save the Children International has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as the–Global Director, Migration and Displacement Initiative (MDI) at any existing Save the Children International office location.
At the end of 2019, 79mn million people (>40% children) were displaced by conflict and violence, with many more millions displaced by climate change and other factors. These numbers are increasing rapidly. (Irregular) migration is one of the pivotal political issues of our time, influencing much of the development and donor discourse – and again is an issue that impacts upon millions of vulnerable children worldwide. In response to the increasing impact of displacement and migration crises upon children, Save the Children established its Migration and Displacement Initiative (MDI) at the end of 2016
The Migration and Displacement Initiative (MDI) is a small unit housed within Save the Children International, which seeks to leverage existing capacity and skills across the Save the Children family, to support the Movement to become a global leader on child focused Migration and Displacement. The MDI is expected to ensure a consistent and cutting edge approach across all of our international programming activities.
The MDI places children at the heart of global solutions to M&D and works to ensure that SC reaches more M&D affected children through effective, durable, and scalable solutions and that we are recognised as a global leader in child focused M&D programming.
MDI seeks to achieve this in three ways:
- As a Centre of Excellence and catalyst unit to drive knowledge, programming and policy work
- As an innovator in developing tools and solutions to improve the way we respond to displacement challenges
- As a convener to bring public, private and social sector partners together to tackle the issue collaboratively
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrable leadership skills (primarily through influencing)
- Extensive experience of development and humanitarian programme design, targeting displaced and migratory populations, with substantial time working in the field.
- Excellent technical (including ‘top-line’ legal frameworks and policies) knowledge of key migration and displacement issues, including previous engagement with and strong understanding of, Durable Solutions and ‘Root Causes’
- Experience of working for an international humanitarian organisation, including developing-country experience
- A good understanding of current migration and displacement research
- Strong technical knowledge and systems development experience in key areas: project cycle management, monitoring & evaluation, inclusive & sustainable programming, child safeguarding, etc
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to assimilate and process large amounts of information into a coherent narrative.
- A capacity for critical thinking and commitment to producing original and challenging ideas to improve policy and practice.
- The ability to present arguments clearly and convincingly to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in organising workshops and policy discussions.
- Proven experience of building personal networks, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work collaboratively in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent verbal & written skills in English
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- The ability to manage and juggle a complex and varied workload, at times working independently, at others working to tight deadlines under time pressure.
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Expertise in (child focused) migration/displacement programing
- Experience in the coordination of various stakeholders
- A strong international network within external facilities/organisations
- Proficiency in various languages
We can offer circa £ 73,000 per annum (If based in UK) with an option of flexible working hours. If the role is based outside of the UK, National T&C (including pay) will apply.
This role can be based in any existing Save the Children International Regional or Country office location on approval, provided the successful candidate has proof of eligibility to work from the preferred location.
Where we Work - Where We Work | Save the Children International
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Deadline 26 October 2021
03/11/2021STEAM for Vietnam
16/11/2021Blue Dragon Children's Foundation
03/11/2021Làng Trẻ Em SOS Việt Nam
05/11/2021UNIDO - United Nations Industrial Development Organization
11/11/2021The International Center (IC)
31/10/2021Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)
04/11/2021Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
12/11/2021The U.S. Embassy Hanoi
01/11/2021Development and Policies Research Center - DEPOCEN
15/11/2021World Health Organization (WHO)