USAID Vietnam Trade Facilitation Program
SCOPE OF WORK
Position: INTERIM Trade & National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC) Expert
Base of Operation: Hanoi, Vietnam
Period of Performance: Short- TERM (o/a August 15, 2021 – October 31, 2021)
(Subject to extension based on manager’s recommendation)
The Trade Facilitation Program is a five-year project that aims to support Vietnam to adopt and implement a risk management approach to the clearance of goods at Vietnam’s borders which will facilitate the implementation of the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA).
The Program will work with the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC) to strengthen Vietnam’s National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC) and its Standing Office and Working Groups; streamline border clearance procedures (including specialized inspection implemented by other line ministries and agencies); harmonize the implementation of risk-based approaches between the national and provincial levels; train national and provincial customs officers and staff from other ministries on risk management; and facilitate dialogue between customs and business and between stakeholders in Hanoi and in the provinces.
The Trade Facilitation Program will provide assistance to the Government of Vietnam at national and provincial levels. A key objective of the Program at national level is to strengthen the NTFC in order to improve its effectiveness and support implementation of the TFA. The Vietnam NTFC was established under Prime Minister Decision 1899/QD-TTG dated October 4, 2016 and is otherwise known as the ‘1899 Committee’ or ‘NSC’ being the National Steering Committee for ASEAN Single Window system, National Single Window system, and Trade Facilitation.
The NTFC is an entity assisting the Prime Minister in steering, coordinating, checking and implementing the ASW, the NSW, and taking measures for cross border trade facilitation. The NTFC assists the GVN and the Prime Minister in directing, managing and coordinating activities of concerned Ministries and other organizations to consistently implement measures to facilitate trade.
The Trade & NTFC Expert will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to undertake activities designed to assist the GVN to strengthen and promote the role of the NTFC in implementing the WTO TFA as a solution or contribution towards Vietnam’s trade facilitation effort.
The Trade & NTFC Expert will be required to cooperate and collaborate with public and private sector stakeholders, at central and provincial level, so as to increase awareness of the NTFC and the TFA and to further their participation in the legislative and procedural design and implementation processes. To achieve this the Trade & NTFC Expert will be required to liaise and work closely with the Program’s Trade Facilitation Provincial Coordinators and Private Sector Outreach Specialist. The Trade & NTFC Expert will also assist the STFE in implementing all project tasks efficiently, effectively and to the highest professional standards.
The Trade & NTFC Expert will adopt lead responsibility for Program activities as related to National Single Window and ASEAN Single Window, the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and the NTFC.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Trade & NTFC Expert will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Plan, organize and support the implementation of the activities included in the Year 3 and Year 4 Work Plan on WTO TFA, strengthening NTFC and upgrading the NSW
- Provide advice, guidance and practical technical support for full and effective implementation of the WTO TFA;
- Review and offer recommendations for revision of the legal basis, mandate and terms of reference for the implementation-mechanism for the WTO TFA i.e., the NTFC;
- Collaborate with the GDVC to organize consultation and technical workshops and/or conferences, for both public and private sectors, so as to promote the role of the NTFC, increase awareness of the WTO TFA and other GVN trade facilitation initiatives and identify opportunities for greater private sector involvement; and
- Other contributions to the Program as directed by the COP, DCOP and/or STFE.
- Degree in law, economics, business administration, international trade, trade policy, customs administration, or similar field;
- Minimum 7 years of experience working on trade or customs related matters;
- Proven knowledge and understanding of requirements under the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement;
- Ability to solve problems as well as exercise considerable analysis and judgement to identify solutions;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheets and office software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Applications; and
- Fluency in English and Vietnamese.
The National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC) Advisor will report to the Chief of Party
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 13, 2021.
Proposals should include:
03/10/2021British Embassy Hanoi
Mid-level Training Consultants for Mothers and Aunts to Meet the Asian Program Framework and Trainees' CapabilitiesSOS Vietnam
22/09/2021Save the Children
30/09/2021Action to the Community Development Institute (ACDC)
26/09/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Consultancy service for Baseline Study of Project "Greening Red Cross and Red Crescent Disaster Risk Reduction: Saving Lives through Working with Nature"American Red Cross
10/10/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
24/09/2021American Red Cross
30/09/2021American Red Cross