Position title: Landscape Lead, Central Viet Nam, WWF-Viet Nam
Reports to: Chief Conservation Officer
Supervises: Project Managers under Origination Platform, Program Coordinators, Technical Advisors; in some cases, upon actual condition, supervises Project Admin. team & Senior Project Officers
Location: Based in Ha Noi or Hue
Date: May 2023
WWF was one of the first International non-government organizations working in Vietnam. In 1985, WWF began working on a national conservation strategy and since then has worked closely with the Vietnamese Government on a diverse range of environment issues and implemented field activities across the country. WWF-Viet Nam is part of WWF-Greater Mekong which operates in 5 countries: Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam. Find out more at http://vietnam.panda.org/.
WWF recognizes that its employees are its most important asset. A competent workforce, thoroughly trained, properly motivated, and bound together by mutual trust and common objectives is crucial to the success of WWF.
II. Major FunctionsThe Central Vietnam Landscape Lead (CALL) plays the leading role in developing a landscape strategy, planning, coordination, and management of WWF efforts to conserve Central Vietnam’s Landscapes under a newly launched Origination Platform. The CALL is responsible for all aspects of this work under the Nature Based Solutions (NbS) Origination Platform including the planning, management, financial and administrative aspects of the landscape programme. The CALL Initially will coordinate consultations with local interests and will later serve as an integrator of all aspects of WWF VN’s Central Vietnam activities and ensures execution consistent with WWF’s Vietnam Country Program Strategy and programme objectives. He/she engages with national and Provincial counterparts as a spokesperson and reputation builder ensuring high quality design and reliable delivery of conservation outcomes.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a thought leader building knowledge on technical aspects of our work, while serving as a mentor for landscape-focused staff.
- Coordinate and manage the team to refine a landscape strategy across six provinces and Da Nang.
- Support the design of interventions under the Origination Platform in close coordination with counterparts in WWF Denmark and WWF US.
- Work closely with the WWF Vietnam, WWF Denmark and WWF US teams to develop a monitoring and evaluation platform for Nature-based Solutions in Central Vietnam.
- Periodically review and update the landscape strategy to ensure alignment with WWF Vietnam’s conservation action plan and WWF International’s Conservation Strategy.
- Provide leadership in reviewing existing interventions and coordinating activities while facilitating and supporting the delivery of interventions specified in the Central Vietnam Landscape strategy.
- Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation activities and management of project resources.
- Support the development of project proposals for Central Vietnam and ensure their alignment with Vietnam’s Strategic Plan.
- Manage existing and establish new networks and partnerships on biodiversity conservation and natural resource management with relevant government agencies, NGO partners, provincial, district and communal authorities, and local communities and attend meetings and workshops in related fields.
- Responsible as direct line manager of Project Managers under the NbS Origination Platform, Program Coordinators, Technical Advisors, Project Admin staff, managing performance, while providing coaching and advice to ensure that staff deliver on their performance objectives.
- Work with financial staff in WWF Vietnam, WWF Denmark and WWF US for budget preparation for the activities and interventions in the landscape; ensure the financial integrity and accountability of project budgets in the landscape.
- Work with the Human Resources (HR) staff to recruit and select staff under the CALL’s supervision and consultants when required.
- Work with HR staff to identify training needs and professional development opportunities for supervised staff.
- Prepare technical reports against the approved work plan and budget plan, as per donor requirements and Government when required.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by Line Manager as necessary.
IV. Profile:Required Qualifications
- A minimum of five years of practical experience in leading and managing complex projects or programmes.
- Relevant experience or education in natural resources management, environment studies or conservation management, bioregional planning, sustainable economic development, or in other related fields.
- Extensive experience in personnel management.
- Demonstrated ability in relationship and project management.
- Thorough understanding of socio-economic, conservation and development issues in Vietnam.
- Knowledge of the policies and institutional context related to conservation and government agencies, development partners, donor institutions, and the non-profit sector.
- Excellent understanding of development partnerships, fundraising, donor strategies, governmental and international relations.
- Proven experience of managing initiatives funded by diverse sources including bi-lateral, multilateral, private sector donors.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment with international organizations.
- Master’s degree in natural resources management, environment studies or conservation management, bioregional planning, sustainable economic development, or in other related fields.
- Relevant experience or education in conservation forestry.
- Demonstrated success in convening or leading multi-stakeholder groups.
- Experience successfully engaging third party consultants.
- Experience successfully liaising between field operators and central offices.
- Excellent presentation, communication & interpersonal skills.
- Good Leadership and management skills, coaching and capacity building/development skills.
- Strategic thinking and excellent problem solving and decision-making ability.
- Networking and partnership building skills.
- Financial management experience.
- Proposal development and report writing experience.
- Fluency in written and spoken Vietnamese and English.
- Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Collaboration, Respect & Integrity.
- Adheres to WWF’s brand values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
V. Working Relationships:
- Internal to WWF: Interact on a regular basis with Chief Conservation Officer, Project/ Programme Managers, other Landscape Managers, Monitoring and Evaluation staff, Technical Advisors at regional and country levels. Engage with and support WWF Vietnam staff.
- WWF-Network: Work closely with WWF Denmark and WWF US counterparts.
- External: Interact with all relevant stakeholders at the community, commune, district, and provincial level of provinces in the landscape. Interact with donors, central government partners, and NGOs on ad-hoc basis.
VI. How to apply:
- Send us your curriculum vitae & cover letter in English, naming each file: “Full name - CV/CL”.
- Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject line: Landscape Lead - Fullname