The United States Peace Corps is a non-political, non-religious organization that will bring Americans to Viet Nam to serve as Peace Corps Volunteers. Volunteers will co-teach English language classes with Vietnamese teachers in secondary schools. The Peace Corps is serving in Viet Nam at the invitation of the Government of Viet Nam and working closely with Ministry of Education and Training with a goal to improve the English language skills of teachers and students. Peace Corps Volunteers commit to two years of service, will live with host families, and will support and co-lead additional school related activities in accordance with the school leadership. A new cohort of Volunteers will arrive each year.
The Peace Corps was founded by U.S. President John F. Kennedy in 1961 to promote world peace and friendship. General information about the Peace Corps can be found on www.peacecorps.gov.
- Position Title: Language and Cross-Cultural Facilitator PST (Five (5) Openings/Positions)
- This is a short term contract and not a permanent position.
- Opening Date: June 7, 2022
- Submission Date for first review: June 24, 2022 (Open until filled)
- Area of Consideration/Who may apply: All applicants must be a naturalized citizen or permanent resident of Vietnam who are legally able to work within the country.
- Point of Contact: Peace Corps Human Resources - PCVietNamJobs@peacecorps.gov
- Duration of contract: October 9, 2022 - December 31, 2022
- Market Value/Salary: 50 USD/day for an estimated 70 Days = 4,625.77 USD Total Estimate (including basic salary, overtime and Misc & UCWA allowances)
- Period of Performance/ Length of Contract/ Work Schedule: Short-term contract (Monday through Saturday)
- Place of Performance: Pre-Service Training Site
- Security Level Required: Independent Name Check and Police Check
Background information of the position
The Language and Cross-Cultural Facilitator (LCF) works closely with a small group of Peace Corps Trainees (4-5) throughout the duration of Pre-Service Training (PST). Under the direction of the Language and Cross-Cultural Coordinator (LCC), s/he conducts language and culture training classes, following a prescribed curriculum, and effectively uses a variety of language training techniques, methodologies, resources, and activities.
LCFs will serve as cultural information resource for Trainees and facilitate Trainees’ cross-cultural learning, and coordinate the host family stay. LCFs will participate in the evaluation of the language training program and the overall assessment of trainees’ performance.
This is a short-term contracted position and requires working fulltime at the central PST training site. During the PST, the LCFs will spend each day in a training site with a small group of Trainees, teaching language and culture, and assisting with the facilitation of technical activities. LCFs will be required to follow a six-day work week, with additional preparation time and activities in the evening, and/or on weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field; strong preference for candidates with degrees in language education/linguistics or with Vietnamese language teaching experience;
- At least one year of relevant work experience teaching the Vietnamese language or some other foreign language to speakers of other languages, preferably English-speakers.
- Fluency in written and spoken Vietnamese, good command of Vietnamese grammar structures;
- Proficiency in oral and written English;
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills; comfortable leading small group Vietnamese language classes as well as big group cross-cultural sessions in English;
- In-depth knowledge of Vietnamese culture (people, environment, history, religion, etc.); basic knowledge of traditional Vietnamese dance and music (and an ability to demonstrate and perform) is a plus;
- Strong computer, communication, and organizational skills;
- Personal skills: flexible, adaptable, reliable, sense of humor, sensitivity to gender and diversity issues.
- Experience teaching Northern Vietnamese dialect; special preference for candidates who are able to speak both Northern and Southern dialects.
- Experience instructing foreigners of Viet Nam in areas such as, Vietnamese culture, traditions, values, customs and practices and how they may differ across populations/geographic areas Viet Nam.
- Ability to work within a cross-cultural team which includes American and Vietnamese staff;
- Prior experience working with Americans and/or experience living abroad;
- Experience living/studying/working outside of Viet Nam;
- Experience coordinating a team of volunteers, especially young professionals.
- Contribution to mandatory insurances pursuant to GVN’s law/ regulations including social insurance, health insurance and unemployment insurance (LSSS)
- Annual and Sick Leave according to local labor law
- Unique Condition Work allowance (UCWA): 7% of Annual basic salary (pro-rated based on actual time worked)
- Miscellaneous Benefits Allowance (Misc): US$1,000 per annum (pro-rated based on actual time worked)
- Lodging and Per Diem will be covered by Peace Corps at the Training Site (paid separately –not included in the Total Estimate).
Please submit the following in English by email (with your name and the position you are applying for in the subject of the email) as one PDF file to PCVietNamJobs@peacecorps.gov:
- 1. Application Cover Letter
- 2. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Closing date: Applications should be received by 6:00 pm Friday, June 24, 2022 for consideration in the first review.
- Position remains open until filled.
- Applications for one position maybe considered for any current open position. No phone calls or personal visits related to this vacancy will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- All applicants must pass a background/security investigation. Any contract offer with the US Peace Corps is contingent upon a candidate’s ability to secure the necessary certifications.
- All applicants must be a naturalized citizen of the host country or must have the required work permit or documentation that permits the applicant to work legally in the country in order to be eligible for consideration
13/07/2022Đại sứ quán Hoa Kỳ tại Hà Nội
12/07/2022USAID Learns - Social Impact
28/06/2022USAID Learns - Social Impact