- Position: Linguistic & Cultural Consultant (Khmer)
- Location: Ho Chi Minh
- Employment: Consultant
- Expected starting day: Nov-2023
- Application Deadline: Sun, 2023-11-19
BackgroundFounded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, Room to Read is creating a world free from illiteracy and gender inequality through education. We are achieving this goal by helping children in historically low-income communities develop literacy skills and a habit of reading, and by supporting girls as they build life skills to succeed in school and negotiate key life decisions. We collaborate with governments and other partner organizations to deliver positive outcomes for children at scale.
Room to Read has benefited more than 39 million children and has worked in 23 countries and in more than 182,000 communities, providing additional support through remote solutions that facilitate learning beyond the classroom. Room to Read aims to benefit 40 million children by 2025. Learn more at www.roomtoread.org.
Background for this projectRoom to Read will design and implement an oral language program. The program will be a 4-week summer course with a curriculum to support Vietnamese language learners entering Grade 1. The 4-week course will support children’s development of foundational Vietnamese language skills in an effort to ease their transition into a new educational setting where the language of instruction (Vietnamese) differs from their home language. The program will include a set of teaching and learning materials and teachers implementing the program will receive professional development.
Room to Read will implement the program in a Mekong Delta province, with a focus on supporting schools and classrooms where the Khmer language is primarily spoken. As Khmer exhibits unique characteristics in relation to Vietnamese, the consultant will identify these linguistic characteristics and advise on the design of language-specific activities in Room to Read’s curriculum. This will help to ensure that the program effectively addresses the specific needs of Khmer speakers learning Vietnamese, ultimately enhancing their transition into primary school.Room to Read is committed to ensuring that the cultures of the minority language groups supported by the program are positively represented and valued in our program materials. Children should see themselves and their cultures represented in the materials. We are confident that prioritizing linguistic and cultural diversity will help to make our program relevant and engaging for the children and communities we serve. The consultant will help to identify important cultural practices, traditions, and values of the minority language community.
Scope of Work:The consultant will develop a comprehensive briefing (no less than 2,000 words, excluding citation) that includes a language analysis and cultural overview. Language Analysis
- Identifies the linguistic similarities and differences between Khmer and Vietnamese
- In relation to these linguistic similarities and differences, outlines best practices and important considerations for teaching Vietnamese to Khmer speakers
- Lists a set of potential classroom activities specifically designed to support Khmer speakers learning of Vietnamese
- Includes a work cited section documenting sources used to inform the recommendations
- Describe important Khmer cultural practices, such as traditional celebrations, rituals and customs.
- Describe core values and beliefs of the Khmer community
- List any other important cultural considerations to support curriculum developers in creating culturally sensitive and inclusive learning materials for Khmer children
The consultant should draw on relevant language, literacy, and cultural research and reports to inform their briefing. The consultant will also develop a PowerPoint presentation summarizing key points from the briefing.
Qualifications:Linguistic & Cultural Consultant (Khmer) ideally has:
- Fluency in Vietnamese and Khmer languages
- Understanding of and respect for the Khmer culture and community
- Linguistic knowledge of both Vietnamese and Khmer (language structures, grammar, etc.)
- Degree in linguistics, early childhood education, or similar
- Experience working in diverse communities or multi-cultural/international experience
- Experience designing language programs or age-appropriate learning materials.
- Proposal submission: Novemver 13th – November 19th, 2023, by 5pm.
- Proposal evaluation and selection: by November 24th, 2023
- First draft for comment: by December 14th, 2023.
- Final report: by December 22nd, 2023.
Application Procedure:Submit your application preferably with a cover letter to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
While the days and times worked can be flexible, the consultant needs to be available to complete this project by December 22nd, 2023.
Application should include:
- Cost estimation, showing calculation basis
Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we are not able to send personalized responses to all applicants. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
Room to Read is a child-safe organization; all personnel are expected to adhere to Room to Read’s Child Protection Policy and Child Protection Code of Conduct.Kênh kiến thức kỹ năng, phát triển bản thân, hướng nghiệp, blog nhân sự
10/12/2023United Nations Volunteer