World Agroforestry Centre – Vietnam Office
Recruitment of Market and Value Chains Field Technician
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role which trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 34 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
Project or Program and duration of same:
The V-SCOPE project, funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), and implemented by a consortium of international and national research organizations in period of 2021-2021. The V-SCOPE will endeavor to support these companies in designing, optimizing and implementing local interventions - such as improved provision of recommended fertilizers or improved capacity to manage sustainable standards (Rainforest alliance, 4C...) - with strong potential to benefit small-scale farmers. Our aim is to collectively identify and address gaps in the current companies’ sustainability programs and business activities in targeted areas for piloted groups of farmers using participatory methods to work together with the different stakeholders engaged in these programs and trade activities. Participatory methods will serve in particular to help reconcile value chain stakeholders’ visions and make them converge towards more resilient and inclusive value chains.
ICRAF Viet Nam country office is seeking for the dynamic Market and Value-chain Field Technician to base in Buon Me Thuot, Dak Lak province to work for V-SCOPE project with frequent traveling to project sites in Central Highlands. The position is created to assist in developing and implementing impactful value chain interventions (prototypes) for smallholder farmers, and in documenting their outcomes and possible impacts. He/She will work with multiple value chain stakeholders including private companies that source coffee and pepper in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, local collectors, farmers and cooperatives and input providers. The position will be hosted at the Western Highlands Agriculture & Forestry Science Institute (WASI) office, in Buon Ma Thuot, Dak Lak. The selected candidate will report to both the ICRAF V-SCOPE project coordinator and the Alliance of CIAT-Bioversity work package 3 (WP3) leader. He/She will also work closely with the WP3 co-lead from IPSARD.
1. V-SCOPE research project in Central Highlands (90%)
- Conduct field research activities, including research implementation and synthesis into periodic reports. Fieldwork methods will include, among other, quantitative data collection and qualitative interviews, focus group discussions and participatory workshops (for the co-design, the monitoring and the evaluation of value chain prototypes).
- Support identifying key local value chain actors on which the project can rely for value chain prototype implementation. Provide capacity building and training to these key actors.
- Design, plan, facilitate and document (with support from other team members) participatory workshops with value chain stakeholders. Provide extensive reports describing the process and the outputs of the workshops.
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders, including coffee and pepper value chain actors, local service and input providers as well as national and international researchers, in order to implement the prototype interventions.
- Ensure data collection for monitoring the prototypes, as well as contribute to data analysis, synthetic reports and actionable recommendations.
- Contribute to the cohesion and development of good practices and trust among value chain actors, proactively identifying ways to increase engagement of local stakeholders and opportunities to make the value chain development processes more efficient and inclusive.
- Join coordination meeting with other team members, participate to project schedules, and ensure the logistics for WP3 activities, to ensure timely delivery of project activities.
2. Others (10%)
- Represent ICRAF and relevant projects at national and regional events where necessary
- Contribute to academic publications based on relevant research/ study results.
- Contribute to the development of relevant concept notes and project proposals dealing with agricultural value chains and markets.
- Perform other tasks as deemed necessary
Qualifications and Skills Required
Minimum Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- MSc or BSc degree in a relevant field, including social sciences, international development, marketing and business development, or environmental sciences. Candidates with an undergraduate degree and significant professional experience will also be considered.
- Publication record will be a major plus.
Minimum Work Experience:
- At least five years of relevant experience, preferably related to value chain, market, agribusiness, economic analysis and certification in agricultural products in Viet Nam
- Experience conducting a wide variety of qualitative research-action exercises. Expertise in business model analysis or human-centered design approaches are highly desirable.
- Experience in working with not-for-profit organizations, government institutions and private sector.
- Experience in participatory methods applied to value chain development, working with farming communities and the private sector. Experience with human-centered design1 (HCD), or user-centered design2 (UCD) approaches to services or solutions design would be a huge advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, verbally and in writing, in both English and Vietnamese. Knowledge of a Central Highlands ethnic minority language would be very appreciated.
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to see research and ideas having positive impact in practice. Strong sense of professional pride and curiosity.
- Be independent, rigorous, have excellent social skills, and are passionate and motivated by the social and environmental impact potential of their work.
- Comfort with public speaking and workshop facilitation.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Willing to spend time on the field (across Dak Lak, Dak Nong and Gia Lai provinces), and to occasionally travel to Hanoi and HCMC.
- Enjoy working in an international and multi-cultural environment and produce deliverables in English.
- Having good command of English and computer literate
- Good knowledge of negotiations
- Multi-tasking person and able to work under pressure
- Open to receiving feedbacks from others
Terms of offer
Initial two-year contract with a competitive salary, to be renewed until project end.
- The contract is subject to 3 (three) months probation period, assessment of performance and availability of resources
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements
- A detailed curriculum vitae.
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, and email address
All correspondence should be addressed to the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Office Hanoi, at the 13th floor, HCMCC building, 249A Thuy Khue street, Tay Ho district, Hanoi, Vietnam OR via email: ICRAF-VIETNAM@CGIAR.ORG. Applicants should indicate “Application – Market and Value Chains Field Technician” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until the 23rd May 2021. Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
ICRAF believes that staff diversity promotes excellence, and strongly encourages local-based candidates to apply. We invite you to learn more about ICRAF at our web site:
2 UCD is an iterative design process in which designers focus on the users and their needs in each phase of the design process. In UCD, design teams involve users throughout the design process via a variety of participatory research and design techniques, to create highly usable and accessible products for them.
- Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
22/06/2021The World Bank