Practice Area - Job Family:
Crisis Prevention and Recovery
Vacancy End Date:
(Midnight New York, USA) 06/03/2020
Education & Work Experience:
G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 7 year(s) experience, I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
1 Year with possibility for extension
Over the last decade, the four countries around Lake Chad Basin, including Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria, have experienced unprecedented levels of crises, exacerbated by repeated incidences of violence from the Boko Haram terrorist group. These crises have deepened instability, slowed economic growth and engendered deep humanitarian concerns in the region. Additionally, the spread of radicalization especially amongst youth remain an imminent threat to peace, stability and development. Absolutist ideologies that reject co-existence, tolerance and progress represent an existential threat to these countries. As such, these ideologies have found recruits amongst the youth who believe that the state has failed them and that they are excluded from legitimate political and economic processes from time to time. Largely overlooked now due to Boko Haram activities in the region as well, the crisis has created an urgent humanitarian need for about 10.7 million people in the region. Almost a quarter of these people have been forced to flee their homes due to conflict or food shortages largely brought on by Boko Haram's insurgency.
In response to the crisis, the African Union and the Lake Chad Basin Commission in 2015 signed an agreement for the operationalization of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), to bring an end to the Boko Haram insurgency in the Region. Despite the significant progress made by the MNJTF, it is agreed by all stakeholders that overall success of the collective effort will be contingent upon coherent acceleration and completion of the second phase of the mandate, namely to 'facilitate the implementation of overall stabilization programs by the Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) Member States and Benin in the affected areas, including the full restoration of state authority and the return of the Internally Displaced Populations (IDPs) and refugees'. To achieve this, the Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) was tasked by its Member States to facilitate the mechanisms and processes required to consolidate the gains of the MNJTF.
In light of the above and with the support of the Africa Union and UNDP, the LCBC developed a five years stabilization strategy - 'Regional Strategy for the Stabilization, Recovery & Resilience of the Boko Haram-affected Areas of the Lake Chad Basin (RSS)'. The RSS provides a comprehensive, integrated and multi-level framework for overall stabilization, comprising nine inter-related pillars which include military support to the MNJTF, provision of humanitarian assistance and key interventions to secure early recovery and longer-term resilience. The Strategy recognizes the nexus between security, humanitarian and development issues and calls for a 'New Way of Working' to be at the heart of the response to the Lake Chad Basin Region crisis. Achieving the 'New Way of Working' will require strong coordination between Governments at central and local levels, regional and continental institutions and between UN agencies and entities, including international community partners, civil society actors and the private sector.
UNDP support to the stabilization of the region is at two key results. Result 1 focus on immediate Stabilisation of specific target areas, builds on UNDP experience in Iraq and elsewhere to offer activities to secure the following three outputs understood as the basis of successful stabilisation. Result 2 focus on strengthening the capacity of LCBC to implement the Regional Stabilization Strategy
as adopted by the LCBC Ministerial Council on 30th August 2018 and endorsed by the AU Peace and Security Committee summit on 5th December 2018.
To achieve the two key results, UNDP developed the Regional Stabilisation Facility (RSF) to support the operationalisation and implementation of the Lake Chad Basin Regional Stabilisation Strategy and will resource a Stabilisation Secretariat with full capacity to lead and deliver on the two result areas. The Secretariat will be responsible for programming and implementation; building strategic partnerships, mobilizing resources; technical coordination and oversight as well as managing knowledge and communication that will lead to the achievement of the key results.
To ensure comprehensive and consistent monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the RSS through the RSF, UNDP is looking for a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist. Under the overall guidance of the Coordinator of the UNDP Regional Programme for Africa and under direct supervision of the Head of Stabilisation, the Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist will play an integral role as part of the Regional Stabilisation team in ensuring the successful implementation of the Strategy and the RSF through provision of high-quality monitoring and evaluation. S/he will establish the Results framework for the RSS and RSF, propose and manage the M&E regime to follow implementation, prepare Annual Reports to share progress, and support knowledge management in regard to the RSS and RSF. The M&E Specialist will take the lead in establishing Task Force that will define results to be achieved and work with national windows to ensure coordinated monitoring evaluation and reporting of results.
He or she will work closely with the Head of Stabilisation, and other members of the team to ensure that the activities are consistently resulting in the intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner. He and she will ensure the application of best M&E practices in line with UNDP standards and the requirements. He or she will ensure that the team fully understand and adhere to the M&E plan. Together with the, Head of Stabilisation, team members and partners, s/he will support in identification planning, designing, and guide the implementations of interventions and verify reports submitted by national windows whilst providing quality assurance relative to the established progress on indicators, and track achievements, challenges encountered and provide mitigation pathways.
In doing so, s/he will assist in tracking trends in implementation to inform decision making and provide information that will support the Steering Committee and Technical Coordination Committee in decision making in line with the overall strategic objectives of the RSS and RSF. S/he will carry out capacity building and mentoring of staff and partners on indicator development, drafting or enhancing report formats. S/he will conduct field monitoring visits, whenever necessary, to come up with realistic and up-to-date situational reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Monitoring and Evaluation:
The Monitoring, and Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for designing and implementing the Monitoring and Evaluating (M&E) activities; assisting the Coordinator in preparing Quarterly/Annual reports on progress and will monitor the activities on a regular basis and will be responsible for the collection & analysis of different data in relation to the activities. As such the M&E will carry out the following tasks:
- Conduct an M&E readiness assessment including stakeholders' capacity to participate in project M&E using the agreed indicators in the RRF;
- Develop and strengthen monitoring and evaluation procedures;
- Develop or enhance M&E tools;
- Monitor all project activities, expenditures and progress towards achieving expected output;
- Recommend further improvement of the logical framework;
- Develop monitoring and impact indicator for the success;
- Monitor overall progress on achievement of results;
- Progressively assess the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of the Strategy;
- Provide feedback to Coordinator suggesting what strategies the Coordinator, staff and stakeholders could use to improve project implementation and management;
- Identify project implementation bottlenecks in completing activities and develop plans to minimize or eliminate the bottlenecks;
- Orient project staff and partners/stakeholders on aspects of M&E and reporting;
- Participate in regular and annual reviews to finalize reports and to plan ahead;
- Coordinate M&E across all levels and components of the Strategy;
- Organize and support monitoring and evaluation missions involving UNDP, LCBC, Government, Council of Ministers), delegates to visit field sites and activities on the ground.
- Familiarise self with the reporting requirements of the RSS and RSF including format, cycle and content;
- Produce analytical and visualized reports in a timely fashion;
- Under the guidance of the Coordinator, lead the development and submission of monthly and quarterly reports as might be required in;
- Generate data and relevant statistical information captured in reports (monthly, quarterly, annual);
- Disseminate and ensure utilization of evidence through drafting appropriate briefing notes and reports (e.g. donor reporting updates, internal thematic briefing r, and activity-specific briefing notes
- Maintain contact with stakeholders by developing technical working relationships (e.g. with the government of the Lake Chad Basin Countries, and UN agencies) to assist them to submit quality project reports in a timely fashion;
- Support the Secretariat to prepare and distribute minutes, organize meetings; and to enable it to serve as the general secretariat for the Strategy, the Steering Committee and the Governors Forum;
- Prepare Committee meeting minutes for review; and
- Perform other duties as required and requested.
- Strategies, mission and targets are attained effectively and efficiently;
- Improved analysis of the results achieved at the outcome level;
- Complete, accurate, timely, and verified reports;
- Complete, accurate, timely and verified reports ready for submission to relevant stakeholders;
- Well informed decision-making in the overall management and implementation of the RSS and RSF through quality data collection and analysis presented in a timely and well-prepared reports;
- Staff and partners excellently enhance the overall governance and management of resources and decisions about best use of resources available by providing timely and appropriate information.
Additional Skills & Requirement:
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN's values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Experience in maintaining tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and pro-duction of reports;
- Hands-on experience in Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation, including in designing and developing M&E systems, conducting ME&R activities including data collection required;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to travel to deep field locations in harsh living conditions required.
Competence and Values:
- Excellent computer literacy and skills on MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, database systems, statistical analysis and overall report writing;
- Expertise in analysing data using statistical software is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
- Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects activities.
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; ability to maintain composure and remain helpful towards colleagues, but objective, without showing personal interest; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in and including possible extensive travel within the area of operations.
- Bachelor or master's degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Development Studies, Statistics, Economics and other Social sciences or related field.
- Specialized training or certificate in Monitoring and Evaluation will be a plus.
- Five (5) years' experience (with Master) and 7 years' experience (with Bachelor) in the design and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting in development and humanitarian projects implemented by national/international NGOs/UN bodies/ Government.
- Experience working within a UN agency and experience in or understanding, monitoring and reporting on projects funded by multiple donors.
- Experience in monitoring politically sensitive projects with different political actors will be a plus.
- Experience in reporting on gender and youth outcomes will be an advantage.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names andaddresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
More Information and Application Details
Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position
Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
All the latest news in Vietnam
Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất