Job Title: MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING (MEL) SPECIALIST
Project: USAID Sustainable Forest Management
Reports to: MEL Director
Date: June 2021
DAI Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
Overview of the Position
Forests are important in the global carbon cycle, carbon sequestration and storage. Although Vietnam increases in overall forest cover, there has been a reduction in both total hectares of natural forests and forest quality. To contribute to reducing land-based emissions and increasing forest carbon sequestration in Vietnam through reduction of deforestation, natural forest degradation and poor timber plantation management practices, USAID Vietnam initiated and implement the USAID Sustainable Forest Management Project (the Project) in seven provinces in Vietnam (Lao Cai, Son La, Hoa Binh, Thanh Hoa, Nghe An, Quang Tri, and Quang Nam) in the period of 2020 – 2025.
The overall goals of the Project are to (1) avoid carbon emissions from natural forest conversion; (2) Increase carbon sequestration through better management of plantation forests; and, (3) Improve quality, diversity and productivity of natural production forest.
The Project will implement a “Green Prosperity” approach that strengthens local communities’ ability to protect their natural resource base and reduce emissions while building a strong foundation for sustainable livelihoods and equitable economic growth. Engagement with the private sector and improved co-management by communities, local authorities, and the national government are at the core of Project activities.
The Project will focus on five main objectives:
- Improve and expand community forest management
- Increase conservation-friendly enterprises in forest-dependent communities
- Increase functionality of law enforcement system for forest crimes
- Improve production forest management practices
- Mobilize domestic resources for forest management and protection
The Project is seeking a full-time MEL Specialist to be based in Hanoi and will travel to the Project sites. The MEL Specialist will support monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities and report directly to MEL Director of the Project.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The MEL Specialist will be responsible for key tasks as following:
- Support to implement the monitoring, evaluating and learning plan (MELP) including developing data collection tools, templates and methodology, designing survey, conducting data collection, documentation leading data analyses, and reporting. MEL Specialist will work closely with provincial Managers and technical staff to ensure that data is collected in time and sufficient supporting documents are collected before reporting to USAID
- Support development of the project database system and coordinate with project staff to ensure the flow of reporting data from the field to central level; maintain and regularly update the database system
- Provide data analysis in support with periodic progress reporting, performance review report, success stories in collaboration with the Senior Communications Specialist; Work with provincial Managers and technical staff to review the progress of achieving indicator targets and updating the plan to achieve the targets
- Involve in development of institutional capacity development plans with local partners, conduct the institutional performance review with technical staff annually
- Conduct periodic internal data quality assessment in the Project’s provincial offices, particularly collect and review evidences for indicator reporting data
- Coordinate internal learning events and manage the knowledge sharing resources in the Project system
- Support MEL Director to update MELP, data collection forms, guidelines and provide training for project staff and partners
- Perform other duties as assigned by the MEL Director and/or Chief of Party
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Master’s degree strongly preferred
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in monitoring evaluation, program management, or knowledge management
- Substantial experience with baseline survey design, supervision and analysis
- Proficiency in database management and data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with project technical staff and partners with different background and personality
- Excellent writing and organizational skills and experience preparing well-researched reports
- Experience training local partners and staff in MEL and knowledge management initiatives
- Experience working with USAID project and understand USAID MEL system and requirement is an advantage
- Experience in development of web-based data management system is a plus
- Excellent writing, speaking, and reading skills in English
How to apply and requested documents:
Interested candidates are requested to submit:
- A CV in English
- A cover letter in English indicating why they are suitable for this position
- Scanned copy of related degrees
via email to our recruitment team at VietnamSFM@dai.com. Please quote the position title in the subject line: “Candidate’s full name _ Application for MEL Specialist”
Deadline for application: 5.00pm (Hanoi time), July 12, 2021
To learn more about DAI, please visit our website www.dai.com.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. DAI does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, veteran status, or other non-merit factor.
Post date: 30/07/2021Friedrich Naumann Foundation GGGI
01/08/2021Catholic Relief Services
08/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG))
06/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG)
01/08/2021Management and Sustainable Development Institute
10/08/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Asia for Animals Coalition Assistant - Farm Animals / Animals Asia Animal Welfare Assistant – Farm AnimalsAnimals Asia
15/08/2021Cục Y tế dự phòng
30/07/2021Save the Children
08/08/2021Action On Poverty
National Experts to develop the regulations on environmental industry in the Guiding Decree to the Law on Environmental Protection 2020 in Viet NamHanns Seidel Foundation
International Expert to develop the regulations on environmental industry in the Guiding Decree to the Law on Environmental Protection 2020 in Viet NamHanns Seidel Foundation