TERMS OF REFERENCE
TOR reference number:
TOR-VNM-2020-004 (please refer to this number in the application letter)
National Consultant of the Generation Equality Fairy Tales
Provide technical advice and inputs develop comics for winning stories of the Generation Equality Fairy Tales Competition
10 January to 30 April 2020
UN Women Communications Officer, Viet Nam Country Office
In commemoration with the 16 Days Campaign to End Gender-based violence 2019, UN Women together with Ireland Embassy and ChildFund Viet Nam organized a competition, called “Generation Equality Fairy Tales ’’, started from 17 October 2019 until 27 November 2019. The competition aims to highlight women and girls' value and talent and raise awareness among individuals, especially youth, in Viet Nam, on the role that they can play in breaking down gender stereotypes and promoting gender equality. The competition invited all legal residents in Viet Nam, especially children and the youth, with no age limitation, to submit their works to show their understanding and share their voice toward ending gender stereotypes.
After one month, the competition received 261 entries submitted from 193 contestants across the country. Five winners of the competition received their awards at the ceremony in Ha Noi in December 2019.
UN Women and ChildFund Viet Nam is looking for a qualified national consultant to work with winners of the competition to develop their stories into comics books.
II. Objective of the Consultancy
The consultancy is aimed at providing technical inputs to develop the wining stories of the “Generation Equality Fairy Tales” competition into comics books that convey the messages on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The expression method of the story-telling and illustration should be simple, friendly and accessible to ensure the coverage of messages to a large number of audiences, especially for children and the youth.
III. Scope of Work and Expected Tasks
The national consultant will work with a team including UN Women Communications Officer and ChildFund Communication Manager and ChildFund Civil Society Specialist and the winners of the competition. To meet the objectives, the consultant has to fulfil the following tasks:
IV. Deliverables and Schedule of Payment
- Editing five (05) winning stories to be easy to read by children and the youth and must convey the messages on gender equality.
- Illustrating the five (05) winning stories into comics book in a professional way that can be ready for publishing. Some illustrations of the stories have already been created by the winners that will be shared with the consultants and integrated in the final comic books.
The payment will be provided in two instalments as bellow:
- Indicative deliverables 1:
- 05 finalized stories having approvals of UN Women;
- Submission of final publication in Vietnamese of two stories that already been illustrated.
Time: End of February
- Indicative deliverables 2:
- Submission of final publication in Vietnamese and English of the stories.
Time: 15 April
- Indicative deliverables 3:
- Having agreement of one Publishing house to publish at least 01 story.
Time: 30 April
V. CONTRACT SUPERVISION
The national consultant will work under the direct supervision of UN Women Communications Officer The local consultant will be ultimately responsible to the UN Women Country Head of Office in Viet Nam.
VI. Duration of Assignment and Duty Station
The consultancy will be conducted from 10 January to 30 April 2020. The duty station is in Ha Noi, Viet nam
VIII. Application Evaluation Criteria
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential to be considered for the assignment. Additionally, qualified candidates shall fulfill the following requirements:
- Having 5 and above years of experience working in professional story-telling, story illustration, writer, children’s book author, journalist or similar fieldsl;
- Having good knowledge on gender equality in Viet Nam;
- Experience of working with Publishing house for example Kim Dong, Nhi Dong Newspaper…) will be an added advantage;
- Experience in working with local and international organizations.
- The applicant will be evaluated based on technical capacities (70%) and financial proposal (30%). Technical evaluation will be based on the following criteria stated as below:
- Having 5 and above years of experience working in professional story-telling, story illustration, writer, children’s book author, journalist or similar fields. (60 points)
- Having good knowledge on gender equality in Viet Nam. (20 points)
- Experience of working with Publishing house for example Kim Dong, Nhi Dong Newspaper…) will be an added advantage. (10 points)
- Experience in working with local and international organizations. (10 points)
- Total: 100 points
A two-stage procedure is utilized in evaluating the submissions, with evaluation of the technical components being completed prior to any price proposals being opened and compared. The price proposal will be opened only for submissions that passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the evaluation of the technical component.
The technical component is evaluated on the basis of its responsiveness to the Term of Reference (TOR).
Technically qualified consultants may be selected for an interview before financial evaluation. Maximum 100 points will be given to the lowest offer and the other financial proposals will receive the points inversely proportional to their financial offers. i.e. Sf = 100 x Fm / F, in which Sf is the financial score, Fm is the lowest price and F the price of the submission under consideration.
The weight of technical points is 70% and financial points is 30%.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on Cumulative analysis, the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
IX. Application Procedure and Deadline
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Interested applicants must submit the following document/information (in PDF format) to demonstrate their qualifications
Financial proposal (with your signature):
- Signed Curriculum vitae with contact details for 3 references;
- Demonstrates samples of work and has proven track record of illustration work.
- The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount in VND including consultancy fees and all associated costs;
- Please note that the cost of preparing a proposal and of negotiating a contract, including any related travel, is not reimbursable as a direct cost of the assignment.
Complete applications should be sent to . Only applications with all items mentioned above will be considered.
Deadline for Application: 7 January 2020
NOTE: Documents required before contract signing:
Prepared by: Hoang Bich Thao, Communications Officer
Certified (procurement) by: Huyen Nguyen/Procurement Assistant
Approved by: Elisa Fernandez/ Head of Office
- UN Personal History Forml;
- Full medical examination and Statement of Fitness to work and travel for consultants with travel involved. (This is not a requirement for RLA contracts);
- Completed UNDSS BSAFE online training course (EN: https://agora.unicef.org/course/info.php?id=17891);
- Individual subscribers over 65 years of age are required to undergo a full medical examination including x-rays at their own cost and obtaining medical clearance from the UN Medical Director prior to taking up their assignment;
- Release letter in case the selected consultant is government official.