Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Vietnam
CALL FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICES
A NATIONAL CONSULTANT
To support the development of the quantification of the PrEP order and donation receiving planI. BACKGROUND
I.1 Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) project in Vietnam
The global LHSS project helps low- and middle-income countries transition to sustainable, self-funded health finance systems that support high-performing overall health systems. The LHSS activity in Vietnam will work with the Government of Vietnam (GVN) to advance greater local ownership of HIV and TB prevention and control. Led by Abt Associates, the four-year activity will support Vietnam in increasing its domestic financing for HIV and TB services in the context of declining donor funding, using government resources more efficiently, and in assuming local ownership of HIV and TB prevention and control activities. Specific objectives are: (1) Support the GVN to strengthen its public financial management systems for public sector health and find greater efficiencies in social health insurance (SHI), (2) Increase and improve the efficiency of domestic financing of HIV prevention and treatment services; (3) Strengthen the capacity of Vietnam’s supply chain management system; and (4) Integrate TB services into SHI.
I.2 Context of the assignment
According to the HIV/AIDS surveillance report, the HIV/AIDS new case among the MSM group accounts for patients from 0.9% in 2011 to 34% in 2020. According to the estimation, unsafe sex between MSM group (including transgender and male sex worker) tends to be the main HIV transmission route, it would account for 45% by 2030. In 2017, World Health Organization issued the recommendation to provide Pre-exposure prophylaxis treatment (PrEP) for the groups of patients who are at high risk of getting HIV to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill for PrEP every day. So far, PrEP hasn’t been provided through Social Health Insurance. Therefore, donation medicine is the main source of PrEP in Viet Nam. On March 18th, 2021, the PEPFAR coordination office sent an official letter to the Viet Nam Authority of HIV/AIDS Control to confirm a commodities support of 1,386,650 USD to procure Emtricitabine/ Tenofovir DF 200/300 Tablet for PrEP treatment in VietNam for FY 2022. These donation medicines would help Viet Nam to expand the PrEP service in Viet Nam and to achieve the target of providing PrEP treatment for reducing new HIV/AIDS cases per year under 1000 by 2030.
As per LHSS Viet Nam’s objectives on GVN, USAID/PEPFAR to support planning for PSM activities, LHSS Vietnam will mobilize a senior expert to support VAAC and work with related Ministries to facilitate the PrEP donation plan approval process from the MOH leader. Then, the consultant will provide technical support to VAAC to quantify the appropriate order/shipment quantity to ensure adequate stock for PrEP service expansion and avoid the risk of being expired. The result from this activity is expected to ensure that the PrEP donation receiving plan is approved and the medicine arrives at the right time and at the right quantity to maximize the utilization of the donation funding.
II. TASK AND DELIVERABLE
1. Provide technical support to VAAC to get PrEP donation plan approval from MOH:
- Provide technical support to VAAC to get the PrEP donation plan approved by the MOH:
- Facilitate the donation plan review process with the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Public Security, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Provide technical support to VAAC in preparing technical documents to justify the plan as per the MOH requirements; and
- Facilitate the approval process by the MOH leadership after receiving consensus from all related agencies.
2. Provide technical support to the VAAC on getting a consensus from the pharmaceutical council on the quantity of PrEP to be procured to maximize the utilization of the donation.
- A report that includes comments/requirements from related agencies and technical documents to finalize the PrEP donation receiving plan. Tentative Due date: July 15th, 2021
- The approved PrEP donation receiving plan. Tentative Due date: July 25th, 2021
- Drug Council Approval on the quantity of the PrEP order and shipment. Tentative Due date: August 9th, 2021
III. MANAGEMENT OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The consultants will report to the LHSS Supply Chain Lead, Thai Thi Hong Lien, at LHSS Vietnam. The consultant will also work closely with the VAAC, Department of Finance Planning under the Ministry of Health.
IV. LOCATION AND TIMING
The work will be carried out in Hanoi.
The assignment is planned for the period from June 2021 through August 2021
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in medicine/ pharmacy / health economics or relevant disciplines.
- More than five years of relevant working experience with Departments and Administrations in the Health sector.
- Good knowledge of PrEP treatment and drugs management
- Good understanding and knowledge of Vietnamese pharmaceutical regulations
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively with government agencies including MOH/ Department of Planning and Finance, Department of finance and planning, VAAC, VSS.
- Good communication skill
- Basic knowledge of English
The consultants use his/her computer and equipment as necessary to carry out the work.
Note: With respect to any reports, data, or information produced by the Consultant while performing tasks under this work order, Abt Associates shall have unlimited rights to use, disclose, reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute copies to the public, perform publicly and display publicly, in any manner and for any purpose, and to have or permit others to do so. The Consultant will fully disclose, deliver, and transfer to Abt Associates, and the Consultant irrevocably assigns to Abt Associates its entire right, title, and interest in and to any and all ideas, methods, inventions, devices, and improvements originating, conceived, acquired, or developed by the Consultant, either solely or jointly with others, in connections with this Consulting Agreement. The provisions of this paragraph shall survive the expiration or termination of this Consulting Agreement
To apply, please send your CV and an application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: June 21st, 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
18/08/2021Save the Children
18/08/2021Blue Dragon Children's Foundation
20/08/2021Làng Trẻ Em SOS
05/08/2021Action on Poverty in Vietnam
15/08/2021Action on Poverty in Vietnam
01/08/2021Catholic Relief Services
08/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG))
06/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG)
01/08/2021Management and Sustainable Development Institute
10/08/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Asia for Animals Coalition Assistant - Farm Animals / Animals Asia Animal Welfare Assistant – Farm AnimalsAnimals Asia