National Economist (Livestock/Animal Health)
Job Posting: 15/Jun/2021
Closure Date: 29/Jun/2021, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FAVIE
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Viet Nam-Hanoi
Duration : July - 30 September 2021 with extension up to 11 months upon the consultant performance
Post Number : N/A
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. With presently 194 member states, FAO works in more than 130 countries worldwide, including Vietnam where the Organization has operated since 1978. The current Country Programming Framework (CPF) for the period of 2017â€‘2021 has four priority areas: (1) Increased food security with focus on alleviation of hunger, malnutrition and food safety concerns; (2) Sustainable development of the agriculture sectors, contributing to the national Green Growth and other strategies on improved natural resources management and environment protection; (3) New Rural Development and Sustainable Poverty Reduction; and (4) Enhanced resilience of communities to disasters and threats. The incumbent's tasks will mainly contribute to the fourth priority area.
The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Viet Nam, the technical supervision of the FAO Headquarters' Livestock Policy Lab (LPL) team and overall supervision of ECTAD Senior Technical Coordinator of the Emergency Center for Transboundary Animal Disease (ECTAD) in Viet Nam and in close coordination with FAO ECTAD team and government partners.
FAO ECTAD in collaboration with Livestock Policy Lab (LPL) are supporting the government of Vietnam in identifying windows of opportunity for policy reforms and investments to enhance the level of performance, sustainability and animal health status of the pig sector. The livestock economist will support the LPL team in generating robust analytical evidences oriented to facilitate policy and investment decision processes. In particular, the incumbent will support the gathering of information and application of policy methods to determine the level of the competitiveness of the pig sector in international markets, estimate the wider socioeconomic effects of increasing the productivity of the sector, and assess the cost and benefits of implementing animal health related interventions to improve the health status of the sector.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- collaborate in the building process of a Vietnam database of the Livestock Policy Simulation Model (LPSM).
- help in (a) building a Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) using the most recent supply and use tables; (b)
- disaggregate the SAM to single out the pig sector as well as other productive sectors relevant to the livestock value chain;
- gather other non-SAM data required to calibrate LPSM and generate its baseline scenario.
- help in defining the non-base (or counterfactual) scenarios that will be assessed using LPSM.
- collaborate with the data gathering process and budgets preparation in order to estimate nominal and effective protection coefficients for the pork production and marketing chain, in order to assess its current and potential competitiveness within the context of international markets.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Master degree in economics, agriculture economics, development economics, animal health economics, or related fields;
At least 7 years of relevant experience in quantitative policy analysis;
- Working knowledge of English and excellent analytical writing skills;
- Experience in the publication of academic papers is peer review journals;
- Excellent computer skills with experience using software such as R, GAMS, or STATA;
- National of Vietnam
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in quantitative policy analysis
- Experience in working with Government agencies is an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
18/08/2021Save the Children
18/08/2021Blue Dragon Children's Foundation
20/08/2021Làng Trẻ Em SOS
05/08/2021Action on Poverty in Vietnam
15/08/2021Action on Poverty in Vietnam
01/08/2021Catholic Relief Services
08/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG))
06/08/2021NGO Climate Change Working Group (CCWG)
01/08/2021Management and Sustainable Development Institute
10/08/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Asia for Animals Coalition Assistant - Farm Animals / Animals Asia Animal Welfare Assistant – Farm AnimalsAnimals Asia