Transport Project Management Information System (TPMIS)
Recruitment of a National Monitoring Consultant
Terms of Reference
Job Title: National Monitoring Consultant (national individual consultant)
Duration: Intermittent inputs; 45 days from July 2020 – January 2021
Duty Station: DT Global Office based in Hanoi
Reporting to: Deputy Team Leader, Aus4Transport
Aus4Transport is an Australian Government initiative to support the Government of Vietnam in developing high-quality transport infrastructure to promote economic growth and poverty reduction. Aus4Transport is managed by DT Global on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
The project’s goal is to increase investment in Vietnam’s road, rail and inland waterway infrastructure projects, by bringing higher quality projects to market faster. The End-of-Program Outcome is faster project development and improving the quality of transport infrastructures making use of funding from all financial sources. Two Intermediate Program Outcomes are anticipated: (i) the Ministry of Transport (MOT) giving enhanced consideration of engineering, financial, economic, safety, gender, social and environmental matters in all pre-feasibility studies, feasibility studies and detailed engineering design and documentation leading to MOT bringing better prepared proposals and concepts more rapidly to implementation, drawing on innovative and comprehensive approaches; and (ii) MOT identifying bottlenecks to improved project development, identifying and assessing remedial measures, and recommending improved practices, leading to MOT adopting innovations in policies and procedures that lead to improved project development.
Working in close partnership with the Ministry of Transport (MOT) and the wider transport sector, the Program will provide support through two work streams.
- Stream A: Facilitating project preparation for major projects that are listed, or soon to be listed, in the Government of Vietnam’s Mid-term Investment Plan
- Stream B: Supporting the sector through research, innovation, policy reform, and training that responds to the specific needs of various transport users (including women, people with disabilities and ethnic minorities) as well as dealing with issues related to the development of the sector, including road safety and climate change.
II. Stream B TPMIS Activity
The GoV has received a grant from the GoA to implement the Aus4Transport Program (the Program) whose objective is to increase investment in Vietnam transport infrastructure leading to an enhanced transport system that supports economic growth and poverty reduction. Part of the GoA grant will be used for financing the services for TPMIS development. The MOT acting as the Activity line agency will have the overall responsibility of overseeing the Activity implementation; MOT has assigned the TCQM (Activity Owner) to be responsible for the implementation of the TPMIS.
The TPMIS will be online, preferably based on web open source technologies, built to MOT specifications and programmed by Vietnamese coding professionals. The source code will belong to MOT.
The initial phase of this activity saw development of the conceptual design, which was validated by TCQM and MOT Information Technology Centre (ITC) in December 2019. This was followed by the public advertisement of expression of interest for the services to develop the TPMIS software.
The second and third phase of this activity includes the engagement of a service provider to assist MOT (via TCQM) with; (i) Development of TPMIS (beta version, pilot project, version 1, project documentation); (ii) Trainings, data entry/capturing support and dissemination; (iii) A commissioning period of 24 months to maintain and upgrade the TPMIS; (iv) Survey & technical recommendations for interoperability of provincial projects; (v) Supporting & enhancing MOT’s IT infrastructure; and (vi) Additional functions for DPI and DOF based on actual needs; (vii) Hosting facilities and software for server during development and commissioning; and (viii) Handing over all related facilities, documentation and source code to MOT – IT centre.
III. Scope of Services
The Activity will require the services of a National Monitoring Consultant (NMC) to assist support Aus4Transport, TCQM and the International Monitoring Consultant (IMC) to monitor the Service Provider engaged to develop the software. The NMC will also be required to coordinate with Aus4Transport, represented by the Deputy Team Leader, and TCQM, and MOT’s related departments on achieving Activity Deliverables and Outcomes.
The general tasks of the NMC will include, but not be limited to, assisting TCQM and the Aus4Transport Deputy Team Leader with the following:
- Assist the IMC in monitor and supervise in consultation with TCQM, the technical work carried out by the Service Provider;
- Assist the IMC in ensure compliance with the TOR requirements and the contractual obligations of the Service Provider and TPMIS Team;
- Review and provide comments to the reports and related deliverables prepared by the Service Provider;
- Testing the TPMIS system and reviewing its technical architecture;
- Assist the IMC in Submitting to TCQM, the Service Provider prepared draft and final deliverables/reports as listed in the contractual deliverables attached to the contract;
- Assist the IMC in submit to TCQM on a regular basis, Activity progress reports and any other reports on an as-needed basis;
- Seek in writing, TCQM’s support to the Service Provider in accordance with TCQM’s obligations;
- Assist the IMC in Review in consultation with TCQM, the Service Provider invoicing documents to ensure accuracy and consistency of the invoiced services against those actually delivered;
- Reporting, on a day-to-day basis, to the IMC and Aus4Transport Deputy Team Leader for tasks associated with the Activity;
- Assist the IMC in Preparing, as assigned, memos and communications required for the Activity;
- Assist the IMC in Review the quality assurance of technical documentation prepared by the service provider and consolidating those document;
- Reviewing relevant laws, regulations and procedures that need to be referenced for the Activity;
- Assist the IMC in Ensuring, to the extent possible, that translations of documents prepared under the Activity are accurate and fully represent the technical views intended;
- Liaising with IMC, to ensure that all technical messages and documentation are communicated accurately and substantively to all MOT agencies associated with the Activity;
- Representing the TPMIS Activity Team to meetings with MOT and sub-sector administration bureaus and other government agencies associated with the Activity;
- Reviewing records of all meetings that will be filed at the TPMIS Team documentation database; and
- Contributing to monthly progress reports prepared by the TPMIS Team.
The NMC is expected to maintain regular contact with the IMC, Aus4Transport Deputy Team Leader and TCQM management team as required, on Activity progress, issues, assignment needs, and any guidance required.
The NMC will organize regular meetings of the TPMIS Team as required. The NMC will account for his/her time on the Activity and contribute to the monthly progress reports produced by the Aus4Transport team.
V. Key Expertise Requirements
The NMC is required to have degrees in information technology and demonstrated technical competence in information management systems associated with transport infrastructure. The NMC should have substantive knowledge of web open source technologies and should preferably have worked as an IT specialist in donor-financed projects with fluent working knowledge of English.
The NMC should have at least 10 years’ relevant experience.
The NMC should have demonstrated experience in dealing with government agencies, and familiarity with government supervised transport projects.
VI. Implementation Arrangements
The NMC will be engaged by DT Global on an intermittent basis for a duration of 45 days of the Activity, which is expected to cover seven months, and will be based at DT-Global Office, Hanoi.
The NMC will be administratively accountable to the Aus4Transport Deputy Team Leader, with whom s/he will work closely in oversight of the activities and work closely and collaboratively with the IMC. The NMC’s principal counterpart is the IMC and TCQM.
The Aus4Transport Program will cover the cost of NMC remuneration in VND, and any domestic travel that may be required in support of the development of the TPMIS software and required documentation. While appropriate office space will be provided at the DT Global office, the NMC is expected to provide his/her own computer and peripherals needed for the assignment.
Interested candidates submit CV and expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application submission: May 25, 2020.
04/06/2020Embassy of Denmark
15/06/2020Save the Children
10/06/2020Save the Children
10/06/2020World Vision International - Vietnam
National Team Leader and International Team Member for Feasibility Study of Opportunities for Viet Nam to Participate in SEADRIFUNDP