Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Hanoi
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 12/9/2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The UNESCO Natural Sciences Program in Viet Nam provides supports in the freshwater, marine, ecological, earth and basic sciences, while at the same time promoting science, innovation and technology and capacity-building in the sciences and engineering. Particularly, focus of UNESCO’s natural sciences program in Viet Nam will endeavor to strengthen the roles and potentials of the UNESCO designated biosphere reserves and other UNESCO-affiliated sites, along with their associated networks, supporting climate change mitigation and adaptation, disaster risk management, green and blue economies and as sites for collaboration with other international innovative environmental initiatives.
Starting in early 2020, UNESCO Vietnam have been implementing the project “Youth and Innovation for Ocean Initiatives”, in partnership with The Coca Cola Foundation (TCCF), which empower Youth and Young professionals in combating with the environmental issues in UNESCO designated sites, as a joint action of UN’s efforts to supports the Government of Vietnam in marine litter management. The project pilot site is HoiAn – CuLaoCham (further information https://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-and-coca-cola-foundation-launch-youth-and-innovation-ocean-initiative
Within the Natural Sciences Programme, UNESCO Hanoi is looking for a National Project Associate to provide the supports for project implementation and preparation for next phase during late Sept – Dec 2021.
Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Ha Noi Office and under the direct supervision of the National Professional Officer, the National Project Associate will (i) support to coordinate the implementation activities in the framework of the "Youth and Innovation for Ocean initiative" project and preparation for next cycle; and (ii) provide support for the natural sciences programme activities on water education.
More detailed work assignments are as follows:
- Responsible for implementation of “Youth and Innovation for Ocean project” and preparation for potential next cycle
- Provide supports and coordinate the implementation and closing of the project “Youth and Innovation for Ocean Initiatives”, ensuring the achievement of the project objectives, implementation of the proposed activities and production of the outputs/deliverables as per the approved project document and work plans;
- Lead the online communication campaign in “Youth for Zero Waste” on social media under the project framework, in closely work with Communication Officer;
- Organize individual activities, mobilize experts, both from the UNESCO and outside national and international consultants, and make logistical arrangements related to the project/activity implementation, in consultation with the counterparts;
- Coordinate and supervise activities in close consultation with the counterparts, including the Foundation and ensure all key stakeholders are informed on a regular basis on progress of the project;
- Undertake specific technical tasks in order to achieve the project objectives linked to the implementation of the work plans under the project;
- Support/Finalize the M&E data compilation for the beneficiary report and final reporting of the project.
- Regular monitor the financial and administrative aspects of the project and make revisions of the work plans and budget in the course of implementation, as necessary, in consultation with the Administration Section of UNESCO Ha Noi Office and the relevant sections at UNESCO;
- Report on the progress of activities on a regular basis to the Natural Science Programme Officer;
- Provide supports for preparation of potential extension for next cycle
2. Provide support in implement the activities under framework of natural science program (including Intergovernmental Hydrology Programme Regional Steering Committee for Asia and Pacific, relevant workshop/ training program under STI, IHP etc)
- Support in organizing training workshop and consultation meetings related to natural resource management, science, technology and innovation, integrated water resources management etc. in collaboration with UNESCO Regional Bureau and national counterparts;
- In closely work with Communication Officer, support in development of relevant communication materials for social media purposes;
3. Work closely with Communication Officer to provide regular inputs about the project activities and natural science programme for website and other communication channels;
4. Perform other tasks, as deemed appropriate by the Head of UNESCO Ha Noi Office and the Natural Science Officer, to ensure the success of the Natural Science programme implementation.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant fields, as natural sciences, environmental sciences, waste/solid waste management, ocean or marine sciences, water resources, climate change, international development or any relevant fields; specializations in environment are most desired;
- At least five (5) years of experiences in natural resources management, ocean and marine sciences, climate change, waste and plastic management, development or any relevant fields;
- Good knowledge of the major development issues with regards to environment, plastic issues, pollution and conservation in Viet Nam;
- Fluency in English and Vietnamese both speaking and writing;
- Excellent computing skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and related programmes.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills;
- Highly organized and self-motivated;
- Master’s degree will be a plus.
- Experiences with youth is a plus.
- Prior UN experience is an asset.
- Experience working on inter-governmental and/or inter-agency processes is desirable.
- Capacity to collaborate and positively engage with a range of partners and beneficiaries, including national/local authorities as well as key stakeholders in civil society, national and international NGOs;
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
The position is for Vietnamese nationality only and will work on fulltime basis at UNESCO Hanoi Office. It is estimated that s/he will work intermittently within the duration from late September to December 2021 (expecting the start date from 1 Oct 2021 at the latest). The position will possibly extend upon fund availably and performance.
Salary: SB3 (US$ 1.921/month, included social and medical benefit)
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
03/10/2021British Embassy Hanoi
Mid-level Training Consultants for Mothers and Aunts to Meet the Asian Program Framework and Trainees' CapabilitiesSOS Vietnam
22/09/2021Save the Children
30/09/2021Action to the Community Development Institute (ACDC)
26/09/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Consultancy service for Baseline Study of Project "Greening Red Cross and Red Crescent Disaster Risk Reduction: Saving Lives through Working with Nature"American Red Cross
10/10/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
24/09/2021American Red Cross
30/09/2021American Red Cross