- Position title: Policy & Advocacy Lead, WWF-Viet Nam
- Reports to: Chief Conservation Officer, WWF-Viet Nam
- Supervises: Consultants when required
- Location: Ha Noi, Vietnam with frequent travels to other areas in Vietnam and other countries in Greater Mekong region as required
- Deadline Application: Sept 19th, 2023.
WWF was one of the first International non-government organizations working in Vietnam. In 1985, WWF began working on a national conservation strategy and since then has worked closely with the Vietnamese Government on a diverse range of environment issues and implemented field activities across the country. Find out more at http://vietnam.panda.org/. WWF recognizes that its employees are its most important asset. A competent workforce, thoroughly trained, properly motivated, and bound together by mutual trust and common objectives is crucial to the success of WWF.
The Policy and Advocacy Lead plays a critical role in advancing the organization's mission by providing leadership in coordination of policy and advocacy, managing advocacy initiatives, and ensuring stakeholder engagement for WWF-Vietnam. (S)he is tasked with offering the necessary technical foundation for WWF- Vietnam's policy advocacy efforts, with a primary focus on areas such as advocating and promoting WWF Vietnam initiatives within the network and at high government provincial land central government agencies.
The role includes working with the Country Management Team to develop strategies that provide the ability for WWF-Vietnam to influence the rules, procedures, and actions of government entities, the private sector, and relevant regional and international institutions. The Policy & Advocacy Lead will also lead advocacy initiatives and technical interventions by cultivating relationships with government partners and key national and provincial institutions to establish WWF-Vietnam's presence, earn respect, and provide informed and collaborative relations to influence political action.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of Policy & Advocacy strategies by creating an annual work plan for the Country Office (CO) to support the achievement of WWF’s conservation advocacy objectives and to ensure their attainment.
- Responsible for development, monitoring, reporting, and evaluating the country’s advocacy work plan to ensure alignment with global initiatives and effectively support delivery of conservation impact.
- Ensure the alignment of policies and advocacy efforts with WWF VN's country strategic plan, thereby harmonizing with network initiatives at global events, including Biodiversity COPs, Climate change COPs, UN and other global events.
- Research and analyze relevant policies, legislation, and advocacy opportunities impacting organization’s conservation work at local, national, and international levels.
- Identify key interventions (policy, advocacy and communications) and develop recommendations to deliver on objectives.
- Collaborate with internal teams to integrate policy considerations into project planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Build and maintain relationships with government agencies, policymakers, NGOs, community groups, and other stakeholders to foster effective advocacy efforts.
- Work closely with the CEO to build partnerships with related Ministries, business associations and sectors, and the network of CSOs; Work to secure Vietnam’s high level commitment and support toward Global Initiatives.
- Represent WWF-Viet Nam in various forums, conferences, and meetings to communicate policy positions and advocate for conservation priorities.
- Lead the preparation and delivery of policy briefs, position papers, reports, and presentations to influence policy decisions.
- Provide advice to Practice Leads and other Conservations team members and partners involved in policy and advocacy work.
- Work in close coordination with WWF-Vietnam’s Communications Director to ensure proactive communications and timely responses to situations as they arise.
- Advanced degree or equivalent work experience in relevant discipline like environmental policy, environmental law, international relations, natural resources management or a related field.
- Thorough understanding of socio-economic, conservation and development issues in Vietnam and in areas in charge
- In depth understanding of national and regional environmental, natural resources, and geopolitical governance.
- Proven track record of at least 5-7 years in policy development, advocacy, or related roles within the field of conservation, environment and development work, including close engagement and advocacy with Government.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Influencing & Networking skills
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to assess complex policy landscapes and identify strategic opportunities.
- Excellent communication, interpersonnal and negotiation skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with government bodies, corporate sector, aid agencies, civil society, and NGOs
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Vietnamese and English
- Proficiency in using advocacy tools, engaging with media, and utilizing social media for awareness campaigns.
- Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Collaboration, Respect & Integrity;
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
How to apply
Kênh kiến thức kỹ năng, phát triển bản thân, hướng nghiệp, blog nhân sự
- The detailed JDs are attached. Send us your curriculum vitae & cover letter in English, naming each file: “Fullname - CV/CL”.
- Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject line: Policy & Advocacy Lead - Fullname
- The deadline is Sept 19th, 2023.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
US Consulate HCMC
06/10/2023Save the Children
11/10/2023Humanitarian Services for Children of Vietnam (HSCV)
04/10/2023Save the Children
15/10/2023US Embassy Hanoi