Org. Setting and Reporting
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) was established by the General Assembly in June 2017. The Office has five main functions: (a) provide leadership on the General Assembly counter-terrorism mandates across the United Nations System; (b) enhance coordination and coherence across the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact entities to ensure the balanced implementation of the four pillars of the Strategy; (c) strengthen the delivery of United Nations counter-terrorism capacity-building assistance to Member States; (d) improve visibility, advocacy and resource mobilization for United Nations counter-terrorism efforts; and (e) ensure that due priority is given to counter-terrorism across the United Nations System and that the important work on preventing violent extremism is firmly rooted in the Strategy.
The position is located in the Policy Knowledge Management and Coordination Branch of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism of the Secretariat, both at Headquarters. The position will report to the Chief of the Section, as well as the Director of the Branch.
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Gathers, selects and analyses information contained in communications and publications received from different sources, including the press.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues, in general, and in particular as they affect the countries and thematic mandates for which the staff member is responsible.
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of assignment and provides inputs on issues to senior officials and colleagues in missions and elsewhere in the Secretariat.
- Monitors national and regional level political developments and provides advice to field mission/UN agencies active on the ground.
- Provides technical and substantive back up in the implementation of mandates of the office, branch or unit.
- Maintains contacts with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters.
- Monitors actions taken by intergovernmental groups, UN organisations, government and non-governmental organizations.
- Selects, classifies and stores in computerised databases information relating to potential disputes and conflicts involving assigned countries or region.
- Participates in fact-finding and other missions to countries within assigned area of responsibility.
- Participates in provision of secretariat services to Security Council, General Assembly, subsidiary organizations, negotiating bodies, conferences, meetings, and /or special missions.
- Prepares meetings of the SG/DSG/USG with officials from countries under the Organization’s purview.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- These positions will focus on providing coordination support to the United Nations inter-agency process on preventing and countering terrorism, including work related to the countering and preventing of violent extremism conducive to terrorism.
Professionalism – Knowledge of cross-cutting peace and security issues, especially policy matters related to counter-terrorism and political analysis. In-depth knowledge of the UN System and its work on counter-terrorism and prevention of violent extremism, as and when conducive to terrorism, and shows ability to coordinate the United Nations on such issues. Shows ability to complete in-depth studies and reach conclusions on possible causes and solutions to political problems in specific areas and/or countries. Shows ability to relate to various issues and perspectives to political, social, economic and humanitarian programmes in affected countries and areas. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or other related. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area is required.
- Experience on counter-terrorism and prevention of violent extremism is required.
- Experience drafting policy documents on preventing and countering terrorism is desirable.
- Experience in inter-agency coordination work within an international organization is desirable.
- Experience with project management is desirable.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French (both oral and written) is required. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
- Kênh tài chính, chứng khoán việt nam
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
06/10/2020UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
12/10/2020World Food Programme (WFP)
12/10/2020U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Consultancy Service for Providing Training on Business Planning and Pitching Skills for Start-up Youth/Entrepreneurs in Lao Cai ProvinceAide et Action (AEA)
07/10/2020Save the Children