Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : G-4
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 09-MAR-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
This position is based in the Section on Inclusive Quality Education (IQE) at the UNESCO Regional Bureau for Education in Bangkok. The IQE Section is one of the two education sections of UNESCO Bangkok that aims to enhance UNESCO Member States’ capacity to provide equitable, inclusive and quality basic education for all in the Asia-Pacific region. IQE is responsible for six programme areas, namely (i) Education 2030 regional coordination, (ii) education planning and finance, (iii) basic education from early childhood to the secondary level, (iv) inclusive education and gender equality, (v) quality of education, and (vi) HIV prevention and health promotion. In line with UNESCO’s global strategy, IQE is emphasizing gender mainstreaming in all of its programmes.
The IQE’s Basic Education team promotes inclusive and gender-sensitive basic education for children of diverse background through various approaches such as inclusive pedagogy, multilingual education, and gender equality in education. The Basic Education team also provides capacity development support in teacher education in Lao PDR under the framework of the “Capacity Development for Education (CapED) in Lao PDR: Capacity Development Support for Teacher Education in Lao PDR” programme. Launched in January 2017, the CapED in Lao PDR aims to strengthen individual and institutional capacities to enhance the quality of pre-service and in-service teacher training, with a view to improving the quality of the teaching force from preschool up to secondary education in Lao PDR. Interventions involve both (i) upstream level through policy support to better recruit, train, deploy, manage and retain teaching personnel, and (ii) midstream level through capacity development support to pre-service and in-service teacher training.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under the authority of the Director of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and under the supervision of the Chief of Inclusive Quality Education (IQE) Section at UNESCO Bangkok, and daily guidance by the Programme Officer, the incumbent will provide administrative, coordination and communication support to ensure smooth, timely and successful implementation of the Capacity Development for Education (CapED) in Lao PDR: Capacity Development Support for Teacher Education in Lao PDR Programme. The incumbent may also be involved in a range of IQE work across programme areas as appropriate and required. Specific tasks foreseen include the following:
1. Produce complete and in final form documents, publications and correspondence related to the work of the Basic Education team from draft texts. Search, locate, compile, review and update information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; ensure accuracy and compliance with the approved amounts; enter data in, and run reports from, automated systems in order to support preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/ financial updates, reporting on CapED programme delivery, statistics and/ or projections for use and scrutiny by the Chief of IQE Section and/ or responsible Programme Officer. Provide administrative support for fund raising initiatives.
2. Prepare a variety of administrative documentation using examples or templates; initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up, including payment follow-up in collaboration with the AO/EO Office. Inform team members of specific administrative processes and related procedures to support work planning and timely and coordinated execution of work; follow-up and alert team members of outstanding payments, timeframes and bottlenecks. Perform general administrative tasks such as leave and attendance recording; maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit and assist in providing software and office equipment support.
3. Organize official meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support. Organize official travel in conjunction with meetings, events and workshops related to the CapED in Lao PDR programme; make travel arrangements; track and prepare itinerary and agenda; facilitate travel by providing/ clarifying information and preparing the necessary documentation such as visa applications. Provide administrative support for the events; collate/ format information and data for presentation in final form; inform participants; organize the distribution of documentation; collect minutes/ information/ documentation and prepare associated documentation.
4. Receive, analyze, sort, register and distribute correspondence and documents; update and maintain large distribution lists and process requests for data and reports; determine the importance and priority of documents received and follow-up, draft correspondence and emails; review, proofread and edit outgoing correspondence according to standard practices and protocol ensuring proper grammar, spelling and punctuation; recommend changes/ corrections; and handle arrangement for translations of documents. Maintain information systems and databases in both physical and electronic media by recording, updating and retrieving information, documentation and data. Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/ software.
5. Respond to enquiries and follow up on routine outstanding matters; route information and queries as appropriate; provide information to supervisor(s) and colleagues; make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the specialist/ service concerned. Liaise with various internal services to obtain additional information/ clarifications. Provide guidance to short-term/ temporary staff on general office processes and procedures, automated systems, computer applications, etc.
6. Provide translation and interpretation support between English and Thai or Lao languages, as needed.
7. Perform other related tasks as requested by the Chief of IQE Section.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Secondary education. University Degree in the field of education, social sciences, development studies, or related areas would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum four (4) years (with Secondary education), or, minimum one (1) year (with Bachelor Degree) of relevant experience in administration and/or programme support service.
- Experience in administrative support in an international environment, preferably in a United Nations.
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Excellent writing skills in English and Thai.
- Capacity for accuracy and attention to detail in preparation of correspondence and programme documents.
- Ability to take initiatives and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Good interpersonal skills, discretion, good sense of judgement and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent IT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel. PowerPoint, etc.).
- Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Thai.
- Basic knowledge of Lao.
- Bachelor degree (or above) in education or administration.
- Familiarity with UN system or the administrative operation of UN agencies.
- Experiences in conducting education research will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position
- Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
29/01/2021SOS Children's Villages Vietnam
28/01/2021Làng Trẻ Em SOS
29/01/2021Làng Trẻ Em SOS
05/02/2021SOS Children's Villages Vietnam
29/01/2021Save Vietnam's Wildlife (SVW)
08/02/2021Save the Children
02/02/2021Save the Children