Title: Public Health Intern
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Program: Vietnam Country Program
Start Date: October 1, 2021
End Date: April 29, 2022
Estimated number of hours per week: 40
Will the intern be receiving a stipend?: Yes
Will the intern travel? (local or international): Local travel
*Please include a cover letter with your resume describing your interest and how you meet the qualifications.
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges. Working in Vietnam since the early 1980s, PATH established a permanent office in Hanoi in 1997, and an office in Ho Chi Minh City in 2014.
PATH is currently recruiting for the local internship based at PATH office in Hanoi to support multiple projects (responsibilities defined below), and, if time allows, contribute the team’s larger role within PATH. The Intern will work under the management of a senior program officer.
Description of the project the Intern will complete:
Plasmodium vivax (P. vivax) malaria projects (VivAccess and Operational Research): The P. vivax malaria projects support the malaria control and elimination efforts in Vietnam through the adoption of new diagnostics and drugs to treat the infection. The VivAccess project is a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-funded 5-year initiative led by PATH and Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) to support countries in the control and elimination of P. vivax malaria. The Operational Research is funded by DFID (UK) to assess the feasibility of integrating the point-of-care quantitative G6PD test into malaria case management in Vietnam. The projects in Vietnam are a part of a multiple-country project across Asia, Africa, and South America. The Intern will be expected to rapidly gain an understanding of the complex social, health, and market landscape for P. vivax malaria.
Global Health Security: Under US-CDC Cooperative Agreement number # 1 NU2HGH000009-01-00: “Expanding Efforts and Strategies to Protect and Improve Public Health in Vietnam”, PATH has been providing technical support to General Department of Preventive Medicine (GDPM) in the Ministry of Health (MoH) to enhance the disease surveillance system. The intern will be expected to support M&E activities under this project.
Description of overall learning objectives and goals for the internship/benefit to the Intern:
- Hands-on experiential learning
- Immersion in a professional INGO environment
- Increased accountability and professional skills
- Enhanced ability to recognize his/her preferences and abilities and match them with appropriate career-related choices
- Opportunity to put his/her academic learning into practice
Brief description of required skills/experience the intern should possess:
- Vietnamese national.
- Recently graduated from a university or senior students. Students with majors on statistics, demographics, public policy, public health, or any related fields is preferred.
- Have good analytical skills
- Keen interest in data management, data analysis, conducting research
- Keen interest in contributing to sustainable development goals
- Strong verbal and written English
- Able to pay close attention to details
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and thrive in fast-paced, high-pressure situations
Skills to be developed and/or expanded during internship:
- The ability to communicate technical information to audiences
- Skills to conduct research and M&E activities
- Analytical skills
P. vivax malaria projects:
- Support to enter, manage, and analyze data
- Support to conduct literature review (searching documents, review, and summarize information into a literature review summary template) for some activities under P.vivax projects.
Global Health Security project:
- Work with the Global Health Security (GHS) surveillance team to support the EBS evaluation.
- Assist in following up with provinces to validate data/collect additional data if necessary
- Assist in data analysis of the field trip as instructed by the senior program officer (e.g. quantitative data analysis - descriptive statistics)
- Assist in writing reports of EBS evaluation (e.g. develop tables and graphs, format the report)
- Work with the Global Health Security (GHS) surveillance team to develop automated epi bulletins
- Support preparation materials for meetings, workshops, trainings such as agenda, presentations
- As requested, actively contribute to the team’s day-to-day activities, including in some cases logistical support to trainings & events
- Other tasks as required by Supervisor.
Candidates must currently have legal authorization to work in Vietnam.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
*PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers.*
- PATH will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process.
- All active jobs are advertised directly on our career's page.
- Official PATH emails will always arrive from an @path.org address.
Please report any suspicious communications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
All applications are made online. For a full job description and to apply online, please access via this job link (https://bit.ly/3kEVI0n) or visit PATH website (www.path.org) then go to (Careers/Search Job Listings/PATH’s Internship Opportunities). Deadline for application is 15th September 2021.
03/10/2021British Embassy Hanoi
Mid-level Training Consultants for Mothers and Aunts to Meet the Asian Program Framework and Trainees' CapabilitiesSOS Vietnam
22/09/2021Save the Children
30/09/2021Action to the Community Development Institute (ACDC)
26/09/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Consultancy service for Baseline Study of Project "Greening Red Cross and Red Crescent Disaster Risk Reduction: Saving Lives through Working with Nature"American Red Cross
10/10/2021U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
24/09/2021American Red Cross
30/09/2021American Red Cross