Location : Work from home
Application Deadline : 19-Aug-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
|The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) is the United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, it was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
The UN Women Independent Evaluation Service (IES) evaluates the work of UN women to enhance organizational accountability, provide evidence-based information for decision-making and to contribute to learning on gender equality and the empowerment of women. It is currently undertaking various corporate and IES-led evaluations as part of its revised corporate evaluation plan for 2021.
As part of its 2021 evaluation plan, IES is conducting evaluations directly with the leadership of evaluation specialists and thematic consultants. Evaluation Specialists from IES are supported, where needed and where relevant, by thematic and methodological consultants as well as research assistants that adhere to UN Women’s Evaluation Policy and UNEG Norms, Standards, Ethical and other relevant guidelines.
Quality assurance of outputs and deliverables are measured against the UN Women’s Evaluation Policy and UNEG Norms, Standards, Ethical guidelines as well as guided by the UN Women Global Evaluation Reports Assessment and Analysis System (GERAAS)available at https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/accountability/evaluation/decentralized-evaluations.
 UN Women website: http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us
Duties and Responsibilities
|As assigned by the Chief, Evaluation, the Research Assistant Consultant will be expected to support the IES evaluation specialists and analysts in the overall implementation of corporate thematic evaluations (80%), and regional and country portfolio evaluations (20%). During the assignment it is expected that the consultant will support two evaluations: Corporate Evaluation on UN Women’s work in the area of climate change and Corporate Evaluation on UN Women’s work around engaging men and boys; and provide targeted assistance to selected country portfolio evaluations.
- The scoping and design of evaluations by supporting document collection, management and review. This includes:
- Support collection of documents by scanning UN Women internal databases and accessing UN, academic and international non-governmental organization or think tanks for relevant documents relative to the evaluation
- Support summaries of evaluations, donor reports or programmatic work to inform evaluation desk reviews
- Support the systematization and analysis of Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and Strategic Notes across countries and thematic areas
- Support the extraction of data per evaluation intervention strategy, budget allocation and expenditure for thematic areas and/or countries, and by year
- Support the analysis of data and visualization in the forms of graphs, tables and other innovative ways.
- Support stakeholder mapping assessments for evaluations with identification of right holders and duty bearers in order to inform the human rights and gender equality stakeholder mapping of an evaluation
- The implementation of data collection instruments, and logistics and organization of stakeholder meetings
- Support the design of frameworks to input data from desk reviews, surveys and interviews
- Support logistics for setting up meetings with stakeholders
- Data visualization, data analysis, coding and synthesis of data
- Support the use of NviVo, or other programmes, for coding data from qualitative interviews and other materials
- Support synthesis of findings from data coding and analysis for input into evaluations
- Support survey data analysis
- Data cleaning and archiving
- Preliminary analysis of data collected, drafting and compilation of evaluation report annexes.
- Support drafting of sections of report (copy-editing, visualisations among others) and compilation of annexes and references for final evaluation report
- Communications with stakeholders, meeting organization, and drafting communication products. Support communications with stakeholders, meeting organizations and communication products such as articles for IES magazine “Transform”.
- The consultant will work on a full-time basis remotely, and a monthly rate will be paid upon satisfactory completion of tasks and deliverables.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or PhD in social sciences, or another relevant field, required.
- Knowledge and experience conducting evaluative research using tools for systematizing and analyzing large amounts of qualitative and quantitative data. Completed graduate research experience may also be considered relevant.
- Knowledge of evaluation approaches and methods including some knowledge of gender equality and human rights responsive evaluation (e.g. participatory and inclusive approaches).
- Strong knowledge of NVivo or other similar data analysis software.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Knowledge of the United Nations or a similar international organization context a plus.
- English required, Spanish and French skills desirable.