This post will be based in Pham Ngoc Thach Hospital but will require travel to District TB Units as needed
Hours of work:
Full time (37.5 hours per week from Monday to Friday), extra hours may be required.
Initially for one year, including a 2-month probation period, with possibility of extension.
The Oxford University Clinical Research Unit (OUCRU) is a large-scale clinical and public health research unit, with sites offices in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi in Vietnam, Jakarta in Indonesia and Kathmandu in Nepal. In Vietnam, we are hosted by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases (HTD) in Ho Chi Minh City, and the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases (NHTD) in Hanoi. OUCRU-Nepal is hosted by the Patan Academy of Health Sciences, and in Indonesia we exist in partnership with the Eijkman Institute as the Eijkman-Oxford Clinical Research Programme (EOCRU). As a Wellcome Trust Africa Asia Programme, we have received considerable support from the Wellcome Trust since our establishment in 1991.
OUCRU’s vision is to have local, regional and global impact on health by leading a locally driven research programme on infectious diseases in Southeast Asia. Priority is given to health issues important to the hospitals where we work, and to the countries as a whole where we operate: Vietnam, Indonesia and Nepal. All work is intended not only to benefit the patients seen daily at our host hospitals, but also to help improve patient care throughout Southeast Asia.
Dedicated to research excellence, OUCRU has a commitment to promote its research findings internationally and locally in Vietnam. OUCRU has a dedicated Public Engagement team responsible for promoting the image and science of OUCRU in Vietnam, and designing and implementing training and public engagement activities. These range from workshops in rural farming communities, theatre shows with a health message in local primary schools to running training projectss and promoting collaborations with universities and research institutes in Vietnam.
OUCRU has a research and engagement interest around vaccination uptake, in the context of underserved communities and understanding vaccine hesitancy. In Vietnam, this focus has been on rural communities where there are many barriers to accessing vaccines, and challenges for the health staff who work in the national vaccine programme. It is particularly important to address these challenges in light of the delivery of a COVID-19 vaccine.
OUCRU employs approximately 320 people across Viet Nam and has an average annual budget of USD 12mil.
Please see more information on OUCRU Website: www.oucru.org
The candidate will join a dynamic group running research with patients who have tuberculosis. This position will be based at Pham Ngoc Thach Hospital, under supervision of the Project Manager. The candidate will support a colleague to screen all patients with TB in Pham Ngoc Thach Hospital and to recruit them into the study. The candidate will work in the Out-patient Department and the MDR-TB department at PNT Hospital. He or she will also need to travel to different DTUs to help recruit patients and take blood when the DTUs cannot manage this themselves. He or she may need to travel to patients’ homes to take blood when needed (maybe less than 5 times per month).
The main work will be to support the study to screen and enroll patients, and help to complete all necessary study documentation and study procedures.
Key responsibilities and tasks:
- Understand the study protocols.
- Prepare all study supplies and documents required for the study.
- Screening and recruiting patients.
- Complete the screening forms (SCFs) and case report forms (CRFs)
- Ensure that study specific samples are taken, processed and transferred to the OUCRU.
- Perform additional clinical assessments and questionnaires as specified in study protocol (training will be provided)
- Take blood for study tests at follow-up appointments.
- Arrange patient compensation and reimbursement for expenses
- Maintain good communication with hospital staffs; ensure participants’ wellbeing, compliance with study protocols and quality of clinical data.
- Data entry
- Other tasks as required
- Nursing diploma
- ≥ 2 year experience in a Ho Chi Minh City government hospital
- Excellent written and spoken Vietnamese
- Ability to work closely with other study staff and hospital collaborators
- Good attention to detail in following protocols and keeping records
- Basic computer skills, particularly MS Office: Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Previous experience working in clinical research
- Contracted salary: Negotiate (depending on actual experience and education).
How to apply:
- Optional insurance: In-patient and out-patient medical coverage; Personal accident insurance coverage
- Two-month salary for annual bonus and clothes
- Annual leave 18 days/year for the first year, a maximum of 30 days.
- Other responsibilities and benefits are based on Viet Nam Labor Law.
Interested, qualified candidates are invited to send their detailed resume and cover letter in English, including copies of relevant degrees, certificates, either by email or by post to the following address:
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit
Laboratory of Clinical Science
Hospital for Tropical Diseases
764 Vo Van Kiet, Ward 1, District 5, HCMC
* We thank all applicants but only short-listed candidates will be notified for interview.
Ms. Nguyễn Thị Hồng Phúc
Deadline for submission:
28th February 2021
Please refer to the official webpage
for more details.