- Duty station: Ha Noi, Viet Nam
- Duration: ASAP for 2 years contract
As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We work in a variety of fields and support our cooperation partners in designing strategies and meeting their policy goals. GIZ Viet Nam is currently engaged in three priority areas: 1) Vocational training; 2) Environmental policy and sustainable natural resource use; and 3) Energy. Gender equality is one of the key values of our company and of the work we do. Fostering gender equality in our project operation and our internal equal opportunity provisions are two strategic pillars of our corporate identity and policy. For further information please visit our website: www.giz.de/vietnam.
The programme “Clean, Affordable and Secure Energy for Southeast Asia” (CASE) active in Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and Viet Nam aims to drive change in the power sector in SEA towards increased ambition regarding climate change. It focuses on the four main SEA countries in terms of energy demand and foresees regional interventions.
Composed of a wide range of organizations (including 02 German think tanks Agora Energiewende and New Climate Institute as well as local think tanks) and driven by strong regional cohesion and network, CASE will propose evidence-based solutions to the challenges met by decision-makers and build societal support around those solutions. A joint fact-finding approach will be applied, involving expert analysis and dialogue to work towards consensus by narrowing areas of disagreement. CASE will also support coordination in the SEA power sector, provide technical and policy support, and facilitate dialogue around a new energy vision. Through these activities, CASE will directly contribute to the power sector's transition towards an innovative, economically successful, and environmentally friendly model for SEA.
The CASE program is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK) as part of the International Climate Initiative (IKI).
Just Energy Transition in Coal Regions - Inter-regional Platform (JET-CR Platform) is a joint German-EU global programme, contributing to strengthening capacities, mutual learning, and sharing experiences on just energy transition in the context of coal regions globally, including drawing on learnings from the EU. Being active in eight countries including Colombia, Chile, South Africa, India, Indonesia, Viet Nam, Thailand, and Mongolia, the JET-CR Platform is embedded, as its global component, in the project “Innovation Regions for a Just Energy Transition” (IKI JET). The global component of the project is co-funded by the European Union while the country component is commissioned by BMWK as part of the International Climate Initiative (IKI).
Focusing on required economic transformations in coal regions, IKI JET works with government, industry, employers, unions, communities, and academia to spur localized pathways to low-carbon and resilient energy systems and sustainable and just local economies and decent jobs, in line with the Paris Agreement and the ILO Just Transition Guidelines. The project supports interregional peer-to-peer exchange, learning, and policy dialogues amongst and with coal regions in coal-dependent developing countries and economies in transition from Latin America, Africa, and Asia, small-scale in-country technical assistance, and capacity-building measures as information sharing via a Knowledge Hub.
Our organization, comprised of renowned institutions including German think tanks Agora Energiewende and New Climate Institute, is actively engaged in the Clean, Affordable, and Secured Energy for Southeast Asia (CASE) and Just Energy Transition in Coal Regions (JET) programs. These initiatives are aimed at driving transformative change in the power sector within Southeast Asia to address climate change challenges.
The Senior Policy Advisor is expected to fulfill the following general obligations:
- Work closely with the CASE team in Vietnam.
- Attend and actively participate in regular consortium meetings focused on CASE.
Towards IKI JET:
- Operate within the "Interregional Networking Unit" of IKI JET.
- Familiarize yourself with the various programs and measures of GIZ and IKI.
- Establish connections within the field of Just Energy Transition in Coal Regions specifically in Vietnam.
- Professionally represent commissioners in all interactions.
- Maintain ongoing and consistent communication with the IKI JET Project team, both in Germany and Vietnam.
- Be prepared for travel, both domestically and internationally, as required.
For both CASE and IKI JET:
- Offer expert advisory support on renewable energy, energy efficiency, and transitioning to relevant public agencies.
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders in Viet Nam and the Consortium.
- Oversee the selection and assignments of consultants.
- Organize and lead workshops and seminars.
- Provide technical guidance and support for monitoring project activities.
- Be flexible and ready to undertake additional tasks as directed by supervisors.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in an area that is related to Just Energy Transition, such as economics, regional development, social science, finance, and/or engineering.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant work experience in the management of economic transformation, climate change, or sustainable development projects in international cooperation, advisory, or consulting services.
- Knowledge in two or more of the following fields: inclusive climate change, sustainable infrastructure, regional economic development, coal economy/mining, energy transition, social security, labor market policies, and/or green fiscal policy.
- Knowledge of the Green Economy and Just Energy Transition landscape in Viet Nam.
- Sound knowledge of Viet Nam public and private sector landscape and proven network about Just Energy Transition, green economy, and climate change.
- Proven experience in managing and conducting multi-stakeholder engagement sessions of a diverse nature.
- Experience in working with local, provincial, or national government.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills, verbal and written; proven track record of drafting and editing complex knowledge and communication materials as required.
- Demonstrated experience of working in a team environment.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to climate change-related impacts as well as social and environmental challenges in Viet Nam.
- Good networker, ideally already providing an existing network of relevant stakeholders in the field of inclusive climate change, just energy transition, circular economy, sustainable infrastructure, green finance, and/or green fiscal policy.
- Ability to work independently, approach tasks proactively, and provide results on time.
- Ability and willingness to acquire knowledge and quickly master new topics.
- Good ability to write and edit reports and ideally experience in media/communication work.
- Very good practical knowledge of Microsoft 365 Office tools.
- Ability to facilitate international working groups, workshops, and events.
- Be compliant with the ESP corporate design and templates.
- Full professional proficiency in English. Advanced knowledge of German is an asset.
GIZ is committed to creating an appreciative work environment, irrespective of age, ethnic background and nationality, gender and gender identity, physical and mental abilities, religion and worldview, sexual orientation, and social background. We ensure human resource processes live up to the diverse competencies and talents of all employees, as well as satisfy our performance expectations.
What we can offer to the successful candidates
- Good working environment
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages, including additional health insurance and 24- hour accident insurance.
- And good policy on training and development
- Policy on flexible working time
How to apply
Interested qualified candidates are invited to send the GIZ Application Form in English, copies of relevant certificates and references, either by email (to email@example.com) or by post (to GIZ Office Hanoi, 6th Floor Hanoi Towers, 49 Hai Ba Trung Street, Hanoi, Vietnam) before 9 th October 2023.
Note: Please state “Application for the Senior Policy Advisor_JET/CASE” in the subject line or on the envelope. The short-listed candidates will be contacted within 4 weeks after the deadline. Telephone contact is not encouraged.
Kênh kiến thức kỹ năng, phát triển bản thân, hướng nghiệp, blog nhân sự
Please visit our page GIZ Viet Nam – Career Opportunities at https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/109163.html to download the GIZ Application Form.