UNION AID ABROAD – APHEDA
Position Title: Senior Program Officer on Energy Democracy and Labour DURATION: 12 months, with a possibility of extension REPORTING TO: Country Manager GROSS SALARY: USD850 – USD 1,000 (net salary) (Gross salary: USD18,000 – USD20,000/year)
Organization Background: Union Aid Abroad - APHEDA (APHEDA) was established in 1984 as the international solidarity, aid & development agency of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU). APHEDA is a non-profit, secular, & progressive organisation, supporting partnerships for socio-economic development & trade union & labor-based programs in developing countries around the world.
APHEDA has had an office in Vietnam since 2004, and implements programs in partnership with civil social organizations, mass organizations, trade union and government offices to advocate for gender empowerment, to promote labor standards and climate justice and advocating for a ban on asbestos.
APHEDA Viet Nam Program Overview: Climate justice, Energy Democracy and Just Transition is a strategic pillar of APHEDA. Since 2017, our Energy Transition program has strengthened trade union movements' capacity in South and South East Asia to respond to the changing energy sector and fight for decent work in the new renewable energy sector.
In Vietnam, preliminary investigation for this strategic pillar was conducted in 2018-19. It identified the potential expansion of carbon intensive electricity generation, at odds with the Paris Climate Change Agreement. Unions had little awareness of the connection between carbon intensive energy sector expansion and its contribution to global warming, and how the Paris Agreement will impact workers.
Union Aid Abroad APHEDA in partnership with Vietnam General Confederation of Labor (VGCL) will implement a pilot project on Improving Industrial Relation for Workers in Renewable Energy sector. This pilot project will last for 12 months and may be extended depending on the pilot project results.
A design process will guide the specific activities; however this project will improve industrial relations in this sector through strengthening workers' capacity to unionise and collectively bargain. Workers will understand their legal entitlements as well as develop best practice for occupational health and safety. Organising workers for decent work will enable the VGCL to advocate for the expansion of this new sector and, over time, a just transition within the decarbonising electricity sector.
Union Aid Abroad APHEDA is looking for a high-performing result-oriented senior Program Officer on Labor and Renewable Energy who will support the project’s implementation and advocacy activities and successful implementation. This position will work closely with Australian based Organiser on Climate Justice and other colleagues and day to day supervision by the Country Manager, Vietnam.
The Senior Program Officer’s overall responsibility is to support the appropriate and professional implementation of APHEDA projects.
In particular the Senior Program Officer will be responsible for project Implementation and assisting the Country Manager as per the duties outlined below.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Senior Program Officer, in liaison with the Country Manager is responsible for the following areas:
- Project implementation
- Interpreting and Translation
- Support Services
- Networking and Partnership
- Implementation: Be familiar with the Project documentation including project contracts, submissions and activity plans related to the project; Implement project activities;
- Report: Prepare technical report (monthly, six month and annual) according to reporting format to ensure message and information consistency across all reporting and match with project objectives; update indicators, achievements, activities and results according to the project framework; manage the statistical outcomes of the project
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation: Assist Country Manager and Experts to develop implementation plans, monitoring and evaluation system and reports.
- Communication: Develop content, texts, information materials and products promoting the image of the project including photo, video clip, training materials and other resources for the media and for publication.
- Develop and maintain a current and accurate knowledge of APHEDA policies and procedures relevant to project cycle management, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Support the Country Manager as requested in relation to all aspects of country office program quality and policy compliance, including assisting with reporting.
- Assist the APHEDA Country Manager and Finance Officer to maintain accurate project activity budgets, finance records and assisting Finance Officer in preparation of monthly budget reports if required.
Networking and partnership
- Represent the programme at appropriate internal and external events as required
- Facilitate and maintain good organizational relationships between APHEDA staff/advisors and project partners, as well as with relevant authorities related to the project.
Interpreting and Translation:
- Assist with the provision of interpretation (Vietnamese-English) for the Regional manager and visiting technical advisors/trainers as required and time permits.
- Assist with written translation of project documents as required.
- Assist with and/or arrange interpretation for expatriate advisors.
- Supervise and contribute to the co-ordination of program cross-cutting issues
- Contributes to the development of APHEDA Viet Nam policies and strategies.
- Advise foreign expatriates on cultural matters as needed
- Any other duties as reasonable requested by country manager in line with organizational priorities
Required qualifications, skills and experience:
- University degree with at least 5 years working experiences on Labor issues, Renewable energy or another related field;
- Demonstrated ability to understand and coordinate complex program activities within a small team of staff;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Vietnamese and English;
- Good communication skills;
- Experiences on translation of meeting, training, workshop;
- Proactive and independent work style;
- Demonstrated skills in working with colleagues and collaborators of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Good organizer.
- Verified track record of working with relevant government agencies, donors, and other partners on similar topics is an advantage;
Application Process: Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should send CV and cover letter to Ms. Thu; email: email@example.com latest by 2nd April, 2021
Union Aid Abroad APHEDA is committed to equality. APHEDA encourages and welcomes applications from diverse social and cultural backgrounds.
15/12/2021The U.S Embassy Hanoi
10/12/2021The U.S Embassy Hanoi
13/12/2021The U.S. Mission to Vietnam
12/12/2021SOS Children’s Villages International
30/12/2021SOS Children’s Villages International
21/12/2021Save the Children
09/12/2021UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
09/12/2021Save the Children
06/12/2021WHO - World Health Organization
10/12/2021Làng Trẻ Em SOS Việt Nam
08/12/2021Save Vietnam's Wildlife (SVW)
07/12/2021SOS Children’s Villages International
13/12/2021WHO - World Health Organization