- Position title: Senior Technical Advisor Consultant
- Status: Part-Time Consultancy (12-20 hours per week, 6-month contract)
- Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Language: English and Vietnamese
National Public Health Institutes (NPHIs) serve as a country’s lead technical public health agency and strengthen countries’ public health capacities to prevent, detect, and respond to public health emergencies. These science-based agencies, within or linked to Ministries of Health (MoH), play leadership roles in addressing core public health functions. Typically, NPHIs conduct surveillance, monitor the population’s health, respond to outbreaks, help develop the public health workforce capacity, and support other public health priorities.The world's NPHIs vary greatly. Consolidating core public health functions — and the associated skills, disciplines, experience, and expertise — in an NPHI provides many benefits:
- Improved delivery of public health services
- More efficient use of funds
- Ability to generate and share knowledge, data, and evidence to inform public health decisions and policies
- Increased capacity to mount a quick, decisive, and coordinated response during a public health emergency
- Visible national leadership for public health issues
- Ability to develop public health policy agendas and resource allocation in line with the country’s own priorities
- Consistent policies and harmonized procedures
- Linkages among all those working to improve public health in the country
Vietnam intends to strengthen the public health and preventive medicine system nationally through the creation of Vietnam's National Centers for Disease Control (NCDC). It is proposed to be a professional organization under the Vietnam’s Ministry of Health (MOH VN).To support MOH VN in developing the NCDC establishment proposal, the Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) seeks applicants for a consultancy position with detailed descriptions of criteria as follows:
- Conducts reviews of Vietnam’s legal framework and policies regarding NCDC establishment and the preventive medicine system.
- Conducts literature reviews on core functions of National Public Health Institutes (NPHI).
- Assess the core functions of the existing preventive medicine institutes and selected provincial CDCs.
- Analyzes, maps and consolidates roles and core functions of the existing preventive medicine institutes; and proposes roles and functions of NCDC supportive of standard core functions of NPHI.
- Actively participates in technical meetings, discussions, workshops with MOH VN and with technical expert team from U.S. CDC and IANPHI.
- Prepares outlines and draft versions of the NCDC plan.
- Other NCDC establishment-related technical tasks as assigned.
- The NCDC plan has been drafted (functions, tasks, organizational structure and roles of each component/unit in the organizational structure, operational mechanism, resource allocation plan, etc.) and proposed NCDC model is appropriate in the Vietnam context.
- Detailed reports of completed tasks.
- Public health background is required. Preventive Medicine background is an advantage.
- Candidate must have, at minimum, a Master’s Degree, preferably in Public Health.
Knowledge, Experience and Skill
- In-depth understanding of Vietnam’s preventive medicine and health systems.
- Experience working in the Vietnam’s preventive medicine system.
- Self-learner shows initiative and can navigate relationships diplomatically.
- Excellent research, writing and presenting skills.
- Has good English skills (reading, speaking, listening and writing).
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in English to email@example.com before Friday, 8th September, 2023.
US Consulate HCMC
06/10/2023Save the Children
11/10/2023Humanitarian Services for Children of Vietnam (HSCV)
04/10/2023Save the Children
15/10/2023US Embassy Hanoi