USAID Trade Facilitation Program
SCOPE OF WORKPosition: Senior Training Expert Base of Operation: Hanoi, Vietnam Period of Performance: March 2021 – Feb 2022 (subject to extension based on manager’s recommendation)
The USAID Trade Facilitation Program is a five-year project that aims to support Vietnam to streamline and standardize customs procedures, specialize inspection, and to adopt and implement a risk management approach to the clearance of goods at Vietnam’s borders which will facilitate the implementation of the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (WTO TFA).
The Program will work with the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC) to strengthen Vietnam’s National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC); streamline border clearance procedures, including specialized inspection implemented by other line ministries and agencies; harmonize the implementation of risk-based approach between the national and provincial levels; and train national and provincial customs officers and staff from other ministries on risk management.
In addition to providing targeted assistance at the central level, the Program localizes technical assistance and operations in six targeted provinces identified and selected in close cooperation with GDVC, i.e.: Da Nang, Dong Nai, Hai Phong, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and Quang Tri. In implementing its activities, the Program looks specifically to engage the private sector, the ultimate beneficiaries of trade facilitation, as advocates to help champion trade facilitation reforms. Achieving the Program’s objectives will help improve the trade and investment environment for the business sector, and help Vietnamese enterprises further integrate into global value chains.
The Trade Facilitation Program will provide assistance to the Government of Vietnam at both national and provincial levels. In order to achieve this, the Program plans to have a Senior Training Expert located and working in Hanoi, with occasional travel to project areas in selected provinces.
The Senior Training Expert will coordinate with government stakeholders, the private sector, and civil society organizations to design and support the implementation of training that are enabled through the USAID Trade Facilitation Program.
The Senior Training Expert will also support strategic partners in the delivery of capacity building efforts focused on risk management, customs procedures, and specialized inspection area. This will include local customs and line ministry departments involved with clearance of goods, risk management and undertaking specialized inspection.
The Senior Training Expert’s task and activity will be aimed at coordination at the provincial level in training involvement and engagement with the private and public sectors.
The primary role of the Senior Training Expert will be to oversee, coordinate and design the overall training framework/strategy and specific training programs at central level and in selected provinces in Vietnam. The Senior Training Expert will be based in Hanoi and will be required to cooperate and collaborate with stakeholders to include GDVC, provincial Customs Departments, line ministries and provincial departments associated with training risk management and specialized inspection. The Senior Training Expert will need to work closely with private sector stakeholders such as business associations, VCCI, traders etc., and public sector, including GDVC, Vietnam Customs School, local customs departments, six selected provinces, and line ministries.
The Senior Training Expert will assist the Chief of Party (COP) and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) in implementing other technical aspects of training of the USAID Trade Facilitation Program. This will include contributing to assessing training needs, work planning, progress reporting, contributing to the design and preparation of training materials, participating in training activities, contributing to measuring their quality and supporting the assessment of the outcomes of training programs (including the impact of each training course). The Senior Training Expert will be expected to implement all tasks efficiently, effectively and to the highest professional standards.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Senior Training Expert will initially support the following tasks:
- Develop the Program’s overall training framework and strategy for the remaining years of the Program;
- Design and develop training programs based on an Annual Work Plan (AWP);
- Select appropriate training methods or activities which are suitable for provincial level and national level (e.g. simulations, mentoring, on-the-job training, professional development classes);
- Oversee the development of training programs to the provinces and provide necessary information about time frame, locations, contents, trainers, and number of participants;
- Conduct organization-wide training needs assessment and identify skills or knowledge gaps that need to be addressed;
- Use known education principles and stay up-to-date on new training methods and techniques;
- Research and recommend new training methods.
- In coordination with the Program’s Communications team, design and prepare training facilities and materials (e.g. hand-outs, visual aids, etc.);
- Assess instructional effectiveness and determine the impact of training on trainee skills and KPIs;
- Gather feedback from trainers and trainees after each training session;
- Partner with internal stakeholders and liaise with experts regarding instructional design;
- Liaise with the M&E Expert and verify the opportunity to develop specific indicators to measure the impact of trainings
- Maintain an updated curriculum database and training records.
- Assist the facilitation of effective of training of national-provincial trade facilitation policy and procedures for customs and line ministries and/or departments;
- Initiate and support technical skills training and learning for customs officers and operational staff from other line ministries and/or departments;
- Incorporate new methods of learning, instructional techniques, and instructional technologies to develop new and exciting and compelling learning solutions.
- Assist GDVC and Vietnam Customs School to develop and maintain effective training with key staff and trainers;
- Other contributions to the Program as directed by the COP, DCOP.
- Supervise the training coordinator.
Master’s degree in economics, business administration, international trade, trade policy, customs administration, or similar field (Bachelor degree with more than 10 years of experience in education, training, HR, or similar field may be accepted);
Minimum 7 years of experience working on international donor/development cooperation projects partnering with the Vietnamese government at Central and/or Provincial levels;
- Proven experience of working or collaborating with the private sector;
- Proven knowledge and understanding of requirements under the Customs Law, border procedures, imports-exports specialized inspection matters, and the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement, is preferred
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills as well as exercise considerable analysis and judgment to identify solutions;
- Hands-on experience coordinating multiple training events at national and provincial levels in a corporate setting;
- Advanced organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task, keep deadlines and prioritize workload;
- Proven ability to complete full training cycle (assess needs, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor and evaluate);
- Extensive knowledge of instructional design theory and implementation;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and motivational capabilities;
- Familiarity with traditional and modern training methods and techniques;
- Adequate knowledge of eLearning and learning management systems (LMS) and web delivery tools;
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheets and office software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Applications;
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills to interact with diverse groups in a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrated success in maintaining positive working relationships; and
- Fluency in English and Vietnamese.
The Senior Training Expert will report to the Deputy Chief of Party.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com no later than March 12, 2021.
30/09/2021ASEAN Youth Organization
15/08/2021Tổ chức Đại học Pháp ngữ (AUF)
23/08/2021Save the Children
12/08/2021USAID Learns/Social Impact
08/08/2021Save the Children