- Organization: SOS Children’s Villages International
- Location: Vienna (Austria) | Innsbruck | Addis Ababa | Nairobi | Dakar | Skopje | Tallinn
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Occupational Groups:
- Communication and Public Information
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Marketing (Digital, Advertisement, Brand, Promotion)
- Safeguarding and Accountability
- Closing Date: 2021-12-13
Location: Vienna or Innsbruck/ Austria. Alternatively, the position can be based in Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Dakar, Skopje or Talinn.
SOS Children's Villages, founded in 1949 by Hermann Gmeiner, is the world's largest non-governmental organization focused on supporting children and young people without parental care, or at risk of losing it.
Child neglect, abuse and abandonment is everywhere. Families are at risk of separation. Locally led, we work in more than 130 countries and territories to strengthen families who are under pressure so they can stay together. When this is not in a child or young person’s best interests, we provide quality care according to their unique needs.
Together with partners, donors, communities, children, young people and families, we enable children to grow up with the bonds they need to develop and become their strongest selves. We speak up for each child’s rights and advocate for change so all children can grow up in a supportive environment.
The Global Communications team's objective is to inspire engagement for global action for children growing up alone or at risk of growing up alone. Our editorial content and guidance support the federation's purpose and strategic goals. We position SOS Children's Villages as the champion for children without parental care or at risk of losing it, ensuring that each child and young person has the bonds they need to become their strongest selves. The Strategic Communications Advisor provides strategic counsel and practical communications support to strengthen advocacy messaging and evidence-based communication to support the achievement of the Global Communications' strategic objectives. The Advisor also serves as a link to the Liaison & Advocacy and Research & Learning departments.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of communication strategies and plans for international campaigns, fostering public engagement and advocacy.
- Translate complex policy, research and advocacy messages for external audiences and international media outlets. Draft press releases, op-eds and other communication materials.
- Harvest and amplify the voices of children and young people in external communications (both with editorial media and own channels).
- Ensure that children and young people are consulted in the production of communication materials.
- Develop and coordinate dissemination plans for priority advocacy and research initiatives and messages.
- Support the development of communication strategies and develop annual plans for communication activities leading to global action.
- Lead the development of key messages and work with other teams to develop position narratives on key
- Optimize use of data and research to ensure that communications materials are evidence-based. In close collaboration with Federation Communications (reporting) and Research & Learning.
- Work with the organization's communications specialists to manage the compilation of compelling stories and images that contribute to evidence-based communications and advance advocacy objectives.
- Support effective liaison and cooperation between Communications & Brand and other departments, in particular Liaison & Advocacy and Research & Learning.
- Represent SOS Children's Villages in communications groups within partnerships with other civil society organizations at the international level.
- Lead or participate in C&B strategic communications activities, such as drafting messaging and writing/editing publications.
- Participate in the crisis communications e-roster.
- Perform other communications duties as requested
- Master's degree in journalism, communications, international development or similar, or an undergraduate degree with comparable experience.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in journalism or communications in the area of campaigning or advocacy combined with experience in public affairs, media relations or marketing communications preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Experience in developing and implementing successful international communication and advocacy strategies and campaigns.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills combined with the ability to convey and adapt complex information to the needs of the intended audiences.
- Ability to provide strategic counsel and manage stakeholder relationships.
- Experience working within governmental and multilateral settings (such as the UN, EU, civil society).
- Strong academic research skills
- Experience working at the international level
- Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Work permit or eligibility to work in the desired location
- Experience working in the field of child rights is an asset.
- Experience working directly with children
- A diverse range of interesting tasks in a leading INGO multicultural working environment
- As a responsible employer we provide a range of training schemes and encourage educational enhancement
- A salary that will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application with CV and a motivation letter (max. 1 page) in English by 12th of December 2021 at the latest.
Due to the high level of responses, SOS Children Villages can only respond to shortlisted candidates.
SOS Children’s Villages International, www.sos-childrensvillages.org/APPLY HERE
23/05/2022The VinaCapital Foundation (VCF)
15/06/2022Embassy of Denmark in Vietnam
31/05/2022Oxfam in Vietnam
22/05/2022Oxfam in Vietnam
22/05/2022Trung tâm Phát triển và Hội nhập
20/05/2022Center for Development and Integration
20/05/2022Community Health Intiatives
20/05/2022Friends for International TB Relief (FIT)
31/05/2022Education for Nature - Viet Nam (ENV)
31/05/2022Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)