Team Leader for Mid-term Evaluation
USAID Trade Facilitation Program
About Social Impact
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm which provides monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. In Vietnam, SI is implementing the USAID Learns program to support USAID staff and partners to implement more efficient, effective, and transparent programs. Today, SI seeks a qualified consultant to lead a study on the implementation of the Vietnam Forests and Deltas Program.
** Note: Candidate must live in Vietnam and speak Vietnamese. Priority will be given to Vietnamese citizens, but international experts with relevant experience in the area may also be considered **
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Trade Facilitation Program (TFP) is a five-year project that aims to support the adoption and implementation of a risk–based approach to customs and “specialized inspection” institutions in Vietnam. Attaining this objective will facilitate the implementation of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). The primary Government of Vietnam (GVN) counterpart for the Trade Facilitation Program is the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC), which also acts as the focal point of the National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC) for Vietnam.
Within this context, TFP supports national and provincial stakeholders in promoting the benefits of a risk management approach to specialized inspections mandated by line ministries to protect food safety, public health, and the environment. Specialized inspections are considered a major impediment to trade, causing major delays in border clearance. The program specifically aims to strengthen the role and capacity of the NTFC to effectively implement and coordinate trade facilitation (TF) policies and procedures, and to promote more proactive public-private dialogue.
The TFP activities are organized into four different components:
- Component 1: Harmonization and simplification of key risk management and specialized inspections-related policies at the central level and strengthening the role of the NTFC
- Component 2: Strengthening National-Provincial (vertical) coordination of trade facilitation strategies and facilitating import and export of goods
- Component 3: Strengthening the provincial level implementation and inter-provincial coordination in at least five targeted provinces
- Component 4: Enhancing the partnership between customs and the private sector
In addition to providing targeted assistance at the central level, TFP has secured provincial buy-in by localizing technical assistance and operations in the six selected provinces (Hanoi, Hai Phong, Quang Tri, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City and Dong Nai). When implementing activities, TFP will look specifically to engage the private sector, the ultimate beneficiaries of trade facilitation, as advocates to customs procedures and trade facilitation reforms. Achieving the USAID Trade Facilitation Program objectives will help improve the trade and investment environment for Vietnamese and United States (U.S.) companies and help Vietnamese small and medium enterprises (SMEs) further integrate into global value chains.
The program was approved by the Ministry of Finance in July 2019 and is expected to operate through May 2023.
This mid-term performance evaluation will be used to review the activity’s progress toward the achievement of its objectives and well as its the effectiveness and relevance.
The purpose for undertaking the evaluation includes:
- Analyze the degree to which the program has achieved its objectives,
- Examine the achievements of the programme’s interventions against promoting Vietnamese cross-border trade
- Draw lessons learned from successes and challenges, and identify remaining gaps to inform future design.
For these purposes, the evaluation will seek to answer the following tentative questions:
- How well does the activity align with government (national and provincial) and private sector needs to expedite cross-border trade? (Essentially, this is asking: is the program doing the “right” things for/with these stakeholder groups?)
- To what extent is the activity engaged with the right GVN and private sector counterparts in order to achieve its objectives?
- To what extent has the activity been gender-responsive in its design and implementation?
- To what extent has the activity improved inter-agency, central-provincial and inter-provincial coordination to expedite trade?
- What contextual or institutional factors are helping or hindering progress?
The evaluation questions are still being finalized with USAID.
SI is seeking a Team Leader consultant to lead a team and be technically responsible for conducting the mid-term performance evaluation. S/he will be working alongside [insert the other position titles or simply say the number of team members].
- Lead the development of the evaluation design including methodology, instruments, and workplan
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis
- Conduct and oversee the consultant team to conduct data collection for the evaluation
- Coordinate team's ongoing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the evaluation design, key findings, and recommendations to USAID together with the evaluation team
- Write the draft evaluation report with support from the team members, taking into consideration feedback from presentations and consultation workshops
- Respond to comments on the draft report and prepare final report
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other's areas of expertise
- Confirmed evaluation scope/questions (including agreed changes/adjustments) for kick-off meeting with USAID
- Inception report which includes evaluation design, methodology, instruments, and workplan
- In-brief presentations for USAID and IP to present evaluation design
- Collected data set
- Findings, Conclusions, and Recommendations matrix that reflects the results of data analysis
- Presentation of initial findings for out-brief and validation event (facilitated by Learns)
- Draft report: complete draft report submitted to USAID in line with the evaluation statement of work
- Presentation of final results and discussion points for operationalizing recommendations for utilization event (facilitated by Learns).
- Final report: revised based on USAID, IP, stakeholder, and Learns’ feedback
- A senior professional with experience leading and conducting performance evaluations of trade policy, customs, and trade facilitation programs.
- At least ten years of experience related to management and analysis of trade, trade facilitation, customs modernization programs.
- An advanced degree in a discipline related to economics, trade, [other fields?]
- Experience working with government officials and other stakeholders to support policy and institutional reform processes.
- Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, and procedures is desirable.
- Experience working in Vietnam or similar programs in Southeast Asia.
- Excellent oral and written skills are required.
Level of Effort (LOE): Up to 50 days.
Expected timeline: May – September 30, 2021
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
The closing date for application: April 18, 2021. Selection and interview will be performed on a rolling basis, and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply, please merge both your CV and a cover letter into one pdf file and submit it through the online portal.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Deadline: 18/4/2021Candidates have to confirm having received the recruitment information through the recruiting channel NGO Recruitment in the application letter for this position Du lịch nhật bản, hướng dẫn du lịch Nhật và đánh giá địa điểm Nhật Bản Japan travel news, japan travel guides, japan holiday destinations and japan reviews
- Kênh khám phá và trải nghiệm của giới trẻ, những chuyến đi dài tuổi trẻ, khám phá thiên nhiên, trải nghiệm leo núi, ẩm thực cuộc sống bốn phương
- Cộng đồng chơi xe ô tô Hà Nội
- All the latest news in Vietnam
- Kênh sức khỏe, kiến thức sức khỏe hữu ích, cẩm nang sức khỏe, rèn luyện sức khỏe, thể dục thể thao, sức khỏe cộng đồng
- Cộng đồng đam mê phiêu lưu, trải nghiệm xe, đánh giá xe, xe côn tay, xe phân khối lớn,xe tay ga
- Tin tức thị trường bất động sản, đất đai, nhà đất mới nhất
31/05/2021Save the Children
10/06/2021USAID Saving Species Project
17/05/2021The U.S Embassy