Trade Manager, Technology, EO
- Job Category: Department for Business and Trade roles (DBT)
- Job Subcategory: Department for Business and Trade (DBT)
- Application deadline: 14 June 2023
- Grade: Executive Officer (EO)
- Type of Position: Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
- Working hours per week: 39.5
- Region: Asia Pacific
- Country/Territory: Vietnam
- Location (City): Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
- Type of Post: British Embassy
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Salary Currency: VND
- Salary: VND 36,350,886
- Start Date: 7 August 2023
Main purpose of job:This is a hugely exciting role at a vital time for the UK-Vietnam relationship. As the UK and Vietnam mark 50 years of diplomatic relations in 2023, the bilateral trade relationship continues to strengthen and deepen. The UK-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement, signed in 2020, has substantially reduced barriers to trade and deepened cooperation across trade policy areas. The UK is committed to further deepening its ties with Vietnam and the wider APAC region, including through access to the CPTPP trade bloc. And the UK and Vietnam are cooperating increasingly closely across a range of areas such as digitalisation, the clean energy transition, and the development of skills.
This role will see you lead on technology, a priority sector at the heart of the UK-Vietnam trade partnership. The UK is renowned for its world-leading technology sector and start-up environment. In this role you will represent the UK’s industry offer in technology, promoting UK expertise in digitalisation, cyber security, financial technology, and technological innovation. You will champion the UK tech sector and assist UK tech companies looking to access and build their operations in Vietnam. You will proactively build a strong network of relevant commercial and government contacts, leveraging these to secure positive outcomes for the UK-Vietnam tech partnership. You will provide advice and cross cutting support on technology to colleagues who lead on other relevant sectors, including EdTech, FinTech, digital health, clean energy and smart cities. You will lead and deliver key workstreams, activities and trade promotion initiatives to ensure the UK is best-positioned as a partner to Vietnam on its tech development ambitions.You will also play a vital role advocating on behalf of UK firms and seeking the resolution of market access barriers, such as data localisation legislation. You will be expected to design and deliver advocacy on key barriers, identifying key interlocuters in the Vietnamese system and building constructive relationships. You will make use of key UK-Vietnam dialogues and mechanisms such as the annual Joint Economic and Trade Committee and Trade Policy Committee to influence and advocate. You will capitalise on visits from senior stakeholders to land key points on UK tech. And you will balance wider political and security issues relevant to the tech sector.
Throughout these duties you will ensure effective join up with regional leads for the UK’s Digital Trade Network as well as with political and development colleagues across the Consulate and Embassy to build a coherent and effective network approach to our technology activity. You will have excellent relationships with UK businesses and key Vietnamese stakeholders. Your role will contribute significantly to Vietnam’s long-term development aspirations.The successful candidate will need demonstrable knowledge of the tech sector. You will need to be able to communicate this to a UK audience, be able to articulate the opportunities for UK companies to increase their exports to Vietnam, and identify opportunities for relevant UK-funded technical assistance and sharing of UK best practice. You will need to be a self-starter, able to manage your own time effectively, evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions – knowing when and how to seek advice from others. You will also be expected to make a positive contribution to the wider DBT and One-HMG team across the Vietnam network. There will be opportunities for travel wtihin Vietnam for relevant activities.
Roles and responsibilities
- Your primary role will be to assist UK companies in the technology sector to do business in Vietnam, including management of our strategic relationships with relevant Government departments and with key stakeholders in the sector. You will be expected to identify new projects and opportunities relevant to UK expertise and work with the UK to source that expertise.
- You will be the stakeholder manager for UK tech firms operating in Vietnam. The UK’s tech sector is at the heart of its international trade offer. You will maintain positive relationships with leading UK firms, supporting them with market access issues, and helping them to build productive relationships with key Vietnamese partners.
- You will lead on engagement with DBT London on relevant tech activities. You will liaise with UK Export Finance (UKEF) in the UK to identify possible areas for collaboration and viable projects for UKEF funding. You will be expected to seek out new and emerging opportunities in Vietnam through research and engagement with relevant contacts. You will keep an eye on inward investment opportunities that arise when collaborating with Vietnamese counterparts.
- You will deliver a steady programme of trade-related promotional activity to champion UK expertise in tech, e.g. trade missions, fairs, VIP visits, seminars, receptions. You will be an effective project manager, delivering on time and within budget.
- You will develop a pipeline of digital trade opportunities and record Vietnam market intelligence through research, company visits, relationship management of Vietnamese businesses and meetings with relevant officials and stakeholders.
- Support the UK-Vietnam Joint Economic and Trade Committee (JETCO) by identifying and prioritising opportunities to open new markets for UK companies and investors in the digital tech sector and wider digital trade opportunities, and develop an action plan to achieve this. You will identify and work to resolve market access issues impacting UK digital tech businesses and wider digital trade to be addressed through JETCO.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- English and Vietnamese – fluent spoken and written
- Exceptional networking skills including across international environments.
- Events and project management skills and experience delivering results against deadlines/targets;
- A proven track record of successful relationship management, and proactive stakeholder engagement with high-level stakeholders and international clients;
- Clear communicator. Ability to provide oral and written briefings, produce meeting notes and undertake regular email and phone based communications;
- Evidence of adaptability and ability to prioritise against competing, challenging tasking;
- Highly motivated, passionate about innovation and technology
- Ability to travel within Vietnam and overseas when required.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Corporate Business Development, Sales or Marketing experience
- Experience of working with international companies
- Familiarity with the UK
- Market research and analysis experience
- Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
Other benefits of employmentLearning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed): The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office is committed to developing its staff. There will be opportunities for formal training alongside collaborating with a wide range of colleagues delivering on-the-job learning.
- Working in a diplomatic mission
- International policy skills course
- UK Diplomatic Academy foundation learning
- Regional and London-based formal learning opportunities
Other conditions of employmentEmployment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks. Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
- No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. Visa sponsorship may be possible for non-Vietnamese nationals if meet local requirements.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Disabled and ethnic minority applicants will be invited to interviews if meeting the minimum requirement of the job.
How to apply
- All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Vietnam Time) on the day of the deadline indicated above.
- Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
- All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the online application form completely including the employment and educational details, experience, professional skills and behaviour-based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the applications and incomplete form in any respect may not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
- Only shortlisted candidates for interview will be contacted. Interviewees will be assessed on the core behaviours/qualifications listed above. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified via the system in due time. Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate”.
- Please check the application centre regularly for any update on your application.
- Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
05/10/2023US Consulate HCMC
06/10/2023Save the Children
11/10/2023Humanitarian Services for Children of Vietnam (HSCV)
04/10/2023Save the Children