The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
- Job Category: Department for Business and Trade roles (DBT)
- Job Subcategory: Department for Business and Trade (DBT)
- Application deadline: 24 April 2023
- Grade: Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
- Type of Position: Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
- Working hours per week: 39.5
- Location (City): Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
- Type of Post: British Consulate General
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Salary: VND 57,137,529
- Start Date: 5 June 2023
- This position is being advertised as a full-time, fixed-term role with possibility of renewal at Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City is looking for a proactive and engaged individual to lead on strengthening key elements of the UK-Vietnam trade relationship. This is a hugely exciting role in a priority region for the UK government, working on a broad and varied trade portfolio at a fundamental time for the UK-Vietnam relationship, as we mark the 50 year anniversary of diplomatic relations between the UK and Vietnam.
Bilateral trade is set to continue increasing following the signing of the UK-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement in early 2021. In this context, resolving market access barriers is a joint priority for the UK and Vietnam. In this role, you will co-ordinate the UK Government’s market access advocacy in Vietnam, work closely with the Head of Trade and Investment in Hanoi and sector leads across Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City to provide oversight for sector advocacy planning. You will monitor progress against priority barriers, and work closely with colleagues in London to ensure regular and comprehensive reporting on progress to senior officials and Ministers.
As Trade Advisor for Agriculture, Food and Drink, you will work with the UK in Vietnam’s Agriculture, Food and Drink Attaché on developing technical and sectoral knowledge of agri-food and drink commodities and export processes in Vietnam across key cross-cutting policy areas, including alcohol policy, timber standards, forest law enforcement, and Sanitary & Phytosanitary Standards (SPS). You will provide invaluable insight and analysis across a spectrum of agri-food market access and trade policy issues, to underpin Defra and wider UK Government engagement in one of the UK’s key international partnerships, broadening the international footprint of UK food and drink. You will work closely with the UK Political and Development teams on wider policy issues relating to labour rights, environmental standards and international law, coordinating the UK in Vietnam network’s engagement and cultivating relationships with key contacts across relevant Vietnamese authorities. You will work with UK Ministries including DIT, DEFRA, HMRC and FCDO to shape policy goals and outcomes.
You will also lead on the agri-tech sector for DIT Vietnam, a key sector for the UK and Vietnam, which plays a pivotal role in our joint commitment to reach Net Zero by 2050. You will lead on the market access portfolio for priority and complex UK exports (animal products, plant-origin products) – F&D (alcohol) – as well as leading on wider policy areas related to the UK-Vietnam FTA, including fishing, timber , and sustainable agriculture. You will develop a robust pipeline of trade opportunities in Vietnam for UK businesses and carry out marketing activities to promote UK expertise in the sector. You will work closely with the Agricultural Attaché and Trade Policy lead in Hanoi to build a consistent approach across the network.
The successful applicant will be based at the British Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City. You will need to travel to Hanoi on a regular basis to meet with key government contacts. You will need to work with, maintain and broaden the excellent working relationships with a wide range of contacts in government, business and other organisations in the sector (MARD, MOH, MOIT, MOF). You will also make a positive contribution to the wider DIT and One-HMG team.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Policy development relating to key cross-cutting priorities.
- Oversight and accountability for the network’s market access delivery.
- Strategic planning for UK-Vietnam engagement on agriculture policy.
- Market access resolution for British exports of Agri-Food and Drink and agri-tech, through removing or reducing SPS barriers and Technical Barriers to Trade to make it easier for UK companies to establish and expand in market. ;
- Developing a strong network of Agriculture, Food and Drink stakeholders including UK business representative organisations, key UK exporters and Vietnamese importers. This includes acting as the conduit into Vietnamese Government Departments.
- Identifying trade and investment opportunities in agri-tech sector in Vietnam, especially advice on market entry following the implementation of the UK – Vietnam Free Trade Agreement;
Across these areas you will need to develop an in-depth knowledge of agriculture and the agritech sector and build relationships with key Vietnamese stakeholders and businesses to ensure that you are aware of the commercial opportunities available to British businesses. You will manage key relationships with UK trade associations and businesses within the British supply chain who can respond to commercial opportunities as they arise, organising sector related activities and events, including inward/outward visits, trade missions and workshops and inward and outward VIP visit.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Awareness of governance and law-making process in Vietnam;
- Proactive self-starting approach to work with the ability to deliver effectively with limited day-to-day supervision in a fast paced environment;
- Experience in working with the Vietnamese government;
- IT proficiency, including Office and the ability to learn FCO applications/systems.
- Language: English and Vietnamese
- Level of language required: Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Vietnamese are essential for this role.
Việc làm tại các tổ chức phi chính phủ - NGO Recruitment
- Website: https://ngorecruitment.org/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ngorecruitment_vn
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ngorecruitment
- Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VieclamPhichinhphu
- Youtube: http://bit.ly/Youtube_NGORecruitment
Monitoring Young Professional (USAID Learns)Social Impact/USAID Learns
Social Scientist cum Community Engagement Coordinator (OUCRU)OUCRU
Admin Intern (GIZ)GIZ
National Intern (GIZ)GIZ
Learning, Communications, and Business Development Officer - HIV, TB, and Viral Hepatitis (PATH)PATH
Human Resources and Operations Officer (AOP)Action on Poverty (AOP)
Project Admin and Finance Assistant (IOM)IOM
Project Officer - Public-Private Mix (FIT)FIT
Shipment Clerk (US Embassy Hanoi)US Embassy Hanoi
Vietnam Stray Animal Care Programmes Officer (FOUR PAWS)FOUR PAWS
All year round
Nhân viên Kỹ thuật - IT (FOUR PAWS)Four Paws Viet
Trade Manager, Technology, EO (British Embassy)British Embassy
Supervisory Administrative Assistant (OBO) (US Embassy Hanoi)US Embassy Hanoi