1. BackgroundViet Nam is having some initial progress on reducing cigarette smoking in the past few years. However, the reduction is not enough for the country to achieve the global Voluntary NCD target until 2025 as well as the target set in the National Healthy Viet Nam programme and the National NCD Action plan until 2025. One of the main reasons for the slow rate of reduction of tobacco use is the low tax and price on tobacco products in Viet Nam. WHO recommends that tobacco tax should account for about 70-75% of retail price. Currently tobacco tax in Viet Nam, which is at 75% of factory price, is equal to only about 38% of retail price which is much lower than the WHO recommendation as well as the global average of 61.5%. Furthermore, the scope of health, social and economic cost in Viet Nam has not been updated during the past more than 10 years. With the increase in population and income level and the maturity of the tobacco epidemics in the country, the respective cost of tobacco use on health, society and economy is expected to increase substantially. It is important to update the cost estimation so as to alert policy makers and public of the scope of the loss caused by tobacco use and the urgent need to strengthen control measures, as well as the dividends that could result from reduction of tobacco use by applying effective tobacco control measures. Therefore, the WHO Viet Nam Country Office is looking for a team of 2 local STCs to develop a report on tobacco economic in Viet Nam. Interested applicant should form a team of 2, one team leader and one team member to apply. 2. Planned timelines (subject to confirmation):
- Start date: 01/04/2023
- End date: 30/08/2023
- 5 months on part-time basis, 6 working days per month for STC1 and 12 working days per month for STC2
- To review relevant reference documents and literature from credible sources on tobacco costs on health, social and economic development in Viet Nam.
- To synthesize the information on the above and develop a Report on Tobacco Economic in Viet Nam for the WHO Country Office in Viet Nam, using a model report published by WHO (which can be found in here https://tinyurl.com/233tjh3y). For those areas of the model report where the data is too old or not existed, the STCs will consult with WHO team for the best solutions. Additional areas could also be considered for adding to the report for Viet Nam if it is found relevant for the situation in the country.
- The report should describe social and economic costs of tobacco use, and the dividends which would come from stronger tobacco control measures – focusing on tobacco taxes specifically, with more in- depth analysis and detailed tax policy recommendations based on the results of existing work, including the modelling studies by WHO, World Bank and other partners.
- The document will be expected to be co-branded with relevant tobacco control partners subjected to the partners’ agreements.
- After the main report is completed, the STCs will help develop short policy brief and a set of PPT which should be easy to read and understand and policy maker and the public.
- Task division among the two STCs. STC1 will focus on methodology, strategy, synthesis and combining different parts, and overall quality of the report. STC2 will work more on searching of reference documents and the development of details for different parts of the report. STC2 is also in charge of ensuring the Vietnamese translation of final products.
Output/sOutput 1: Search and compile and synthesize information from reliable research and develop a draft report about tobacco control and tobacco economic in Viet Nam similar to the model report.
- a) Deliverable 1.1: (by 30 April): Develop a plan and methodology for search and synthesis of relevant reference documents from reliable research on the topics, including a draft outline of the report. The outline will then be consulted with WHO and key partners for comments and inputs and agreement before proceeding to drafting the full report.
- b) Deliverables 1.2: (by 30 May): A draft report on the tobacco economic in Viet Nam, using the model report as reference.
- a. Deliverable 2.1: (by 30 June): Revised draft report after addressing comments from WHO and relevant partners to finalize the products
- b. Deliverable 2.2: (by 30 August): Develop a short summary for policy makers which include a policy brief and a set of PPT for presentation. Translate the final products into Vietnamese. Finalize the English and Vietnamese report as well as the policy brief versions as final products.
4. Specific requirementsa. Qualifications required: One member of the team of the 2 STCs should have a Master of Public Health or higher in related fields from recognized universities b. Experience required: At least 8 years of professional experience, with a track record of delivering high quality research in public health including tobacco economic research c. Skills/Technical skills and knowledge:
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of public health
- Excellent knowledge in tobacco control in Viet Nam
- Vietnamese: advanced in reading, writing, and speaking
- English: good command in reading, writing, and speaking
- No travel outside of Hanoi required.
- Travel within Hanoi by own arrangement of the contractors.
- Administrative Officer
- World Health Organization
- UN Building, 304 Kim Ma Street, Hanoi, Viet Nam
- OR firstname.lastname@example.org
Việc làm tại các tổ chức phi chính phủ - NGO Recruitment
- Website: https://ngorecruitment.org/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ngorecruitment_vn
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ngorecruitment
- Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VieclamPhichinhphu
- Youtube: http://bit.ly/Youtube_NGORecruitment
Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning Lead – Counter Trafficking in Persons (CTIP) Vietnam (WVV)
Thực Tập Sinh Phòng Văn Hoá - Thông Tin (Đại Sứ Quán Hoa Kỳ)
Quản lý chương trình cấp cao (Đại sứ quán Australia)Đại sứ quán Australia
Senior Finance ManagerAIP Foundation
Just Energy Transition Partnership Delivery Lead, HEO (British Embassy)British Embassy
Consultant/Consultancy team (WVV)WVV
Knowledge Management Specialist (DAI)DAI
LE4 Finance and HR Officer (Australian Embassy)Australian Embassy
Program Intern (part-time) (PSI)PSI
MEAL Coordinator (Save the Children)Save the Children
National Migration Health Consultant (IOM)IOM
Temporary Area Program Sponsorship Falicitator (WVV)WVV
Communications Manager, USAID Saving Threatened Wildlife (USAID STW) (WWF)WWF
Community forest consultant in Quang Nam Province (RECOFTC)RECOFTC
Communications Intern (maximum 6 months) (Hagar)Hagar
Project Officer on Competition and Consumer Protection (GIZ)GIZ
Child Protection and Education Collaborator (GNI)GNI
Sector Leader Energy (SNV)SNV
Trợ Lý Dự Án Full-time (Viện Nghiên cứu phát triển cộng đồng ACDC)ACDC
Consultancy services at GIZ (GIZ)GIZ