Call for Expressions of Interest and Proposal
#043 - Job Title: To provide technical assistance in the areas of health legislation to support the Universal Health Coverage Team of the WHO Representative Office in Viet Nam.
[Information provided herewith should be general to people outside of WHO to understand, must not contain internal information]
In 2017, the Party Resolution 20 (No 20/2017–NQ/TW) on the protection, care and improvement of people’s health set on the direction for several health system reforms, including in health financing; regulation of health workforce, services, and medicines; and digital health. Viet Nam is planning its long-term health sector vision to 2045 linking with its national socio-economic development strategy and based on lessons learned from the COVID-19 outbreak. Viet Nam is in the process of revising several major health laws, such as the social health insurance (SHI) law, law on examination and treatment (LET), and public health or disease prevention law. Viet Nam aims to have the LET revision and SHI laws reviewed by the National Assembly in 2021 and promulgated by 2022.
In addition, the Ministry of Health also prioritizes strengthening the following:
• System to ensure the quality and safety of food and drugs
• System of disease control and prevention
• Regulation of the health workforce, in particular, after the establishment of the National Medical Council
• Legal and regulatory frameworks related to COVID-19 vaccines
Based on requests from the Ministry of Health, the WHO Representative Office in Viet Nam is providing technical assistance to the Government of Viet Nam in health legislation across several areas and will continue to support the revision process for the major health laws and further regulations given the COVID-19 context and longer-term vision.
2. Work to be performed
[All tasks and outputs to be listed here]
Planned timelines (subject to confirmation)
Start date: 13 August 2021
End date: 31 December 2021
Method(s) to carry out the activity
The consultant can work remotely if needed. The work will involve but not be limited to; coordinating across Ministry of Health and partners, participating in meetings and workshops (remotely if needed), providing technical advice to documents and reports as required. The consultant will provide support to the UHC team and relevant MOH departments on health legislation.
Under the overall supervision of the UHC Team Leader, the consultant will support the UHC team and other teams as needed on the following outputs:
Output 1. Technical support provided to the major law revision process in Viet Nam in 2021
• Deliverable 1-1. Briefing notes (about 2-3 papers) with international best legislation practice on key discussion topics related to the Law on Examination and Treatment
• Deliverable 1-2. Briefing notes (about 2-3 papers) with international best legislation practice on key discussion topics related to the Social Health Insurance Law
Output 2. Technical support provided to the capacity building programme of MOH in the area of international public health law
• Deliverable 2-1. Lecture provided at the capacity building workshop on selected topics such as international agreements in relation to COVID-19 vaccine procurement and other legal issues
Output 3. Technical support provided to health sector reform in Viet Nam in the area of international public health law
• Deliverable 3-1. Briefing notes on international comparison of legislation related to food and drug regulatory systems
• Deliverable 3-1. Briefing notes on international comparison of legislation related to national and sub-national system of public health institutions network
3. Specific requirements
Essential: Undergraduate degree in relevant areas including health legislation, public administration, or public health
Desirable: Master’s degree in relevant areas including health legislation, public administration, or public health
Essential: At least 2 years of experience in relevant areas including health legislation and health policy development
Desirable: Prior experience of working with the Government of Viet Nam or in the Western Pacific Region in health legislation will be considered an advantage.
Skills / Technical skills and knowledge:
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Ability to write
• Knowledge of the health system in Viet Nam desirable
• Specific technical knowledge with health legislation process in Viet Nam is desirable
Expert written and spoken English
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team or independently
• Produces results
• Builds and promotes partnerships
• Fosters integration and teamwork
5. Place of assignment
Under the guidance of the UHC-HLE Team Coordinator and relevant technical staff, the consultant will be based off-site.
6. Medical clearance
As the vacancy posting is for an off-site short-term consultant, a medical clearance is not required.
The short-term consultant is not expected to travel based on current government restrictions, which may change. Those who are interested can contact our focal person with contact detail at the end of the announcement before/by 10 August 2021
The below paragraph to be added when necessary:
The application and supporting documents should be received on/or 10 August 2021 and should be addressed to:
World Health Organization
UN Building, 304 Kim Ma Street,
Hanoi, Viet Nam
For further information on this TOR, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
29/09/2021Save the Children
05/10/2021Save the Children
04/10/2021Save the Children