Call for Expressions of Interest and Proposal
Job Title: #048
- National consultant for designing and implementing a pilot on integration of HCV and HIV viral load testing using existing Expert machines in selected provinces
Viet Nam is home of nearly one million people living with HCV and 230,000 people living with HIV. Burden of HCV and HIV infections remains an important public health issue in Viet Nam. HCV and HBV are major caused of cirrhosis, liver cancer and liver-related deaths in Viet Nam. Viral hepatitis is also among major cause of death among people living with HIV. To achieve the goal of national strategy to end AIDS epidemic by 2030, Viet Nam need to achieve the target of 95-95-95 by 2030 which mean that the coverage of HIV viral load needs to be reached at 95%. Currently, HIV viral load in Viet Nam is centralized in national and regional laboratories. Thus, specimens need to be transferred to these labs for testing which causes delay in turnaround test results, additional cost required for specimen transportation, and difficulty in access to health insurance reimbursement. Similarly, HCV viral load testing is not available in many provincial hospitals; thus, access to HCV diagnosis and treatment are very limited.
Viet Nam national TB programme has a very good Expert machine system which mainly served for TB and MDR TB diagnosis. In 2017, a national workshop was organized by national TB and HIV programmes to introduce WHO recommendation on use of multi-disease testing device and opportunity of joint utilization of GenExpert platforms for TB and HIV test. Since then, there are several meetings were held between National HIV and TB programmes to discuss this proposal.
Currently, with support from Global Fund, Viet Nam has 231 Expert machines which located in 155 health facilities in all 63 provinces. Expert machine is a point of care system that can be operated by trained district health staff. In the last few years, with development of technology, Expert machine become a platform for HIV and HCV viral load testing which are pre-qualified by WHO. With this technology, multiple testing platform can facilitate decentralization and integration of TB, HIV and HCV testing at district health facilities.
To support Viet Nam MOH in improve access to HIV and HCV viral load testing, a national consultant is required to provide technical assistance in designing and implementing a pilot on integration of HCV and HIV viral load testing using existing Expert machine system. The consultant is also requested to support WHO and MOH with other activities related to viral hepatitis.
2. Planned timelines (subject to confirmation)
- Start date: 20 November 2022
- End date: 20 July 2023
3. Work to be performed
a) Specific objectives of the consultancy activity
- To support WHO and MOH in designing and implementation of the pilot on integration of HCV and HIV viral load testing using existing Expert machines in selected provinces
b) Method(s) to carry out the activity
- Meeting with WHO technical staff to discuss the scope of works and requirements
- Regular meeting with WHO technical staff during implementing the activity to update progress and discuss the issues faced and seek technical advice during implementation of the activities.
- Meeting with responsible staff at VAAC and NTP to seek advice/comment during development of the protocol and implementation of the pilot.
- Work with provincial health authorities and district health centres to plan, prepare and implement the pilot
- Conduct field visit to monitor and supervise the pilot implementation
4. Description of the tasks/process involved in carrying out the activity
Task 1: Development of a pilot protocol on integration of HCV and HIV viral load testing using existing Expert machine system.
- Work with WHO and MOH to develop protocol including data collection tools. Seek advice and comment from WHO and MOH to finalize the protocol.
- Submit protocol to MOH or national institution for IRB approval
Output/s: Protocol developed and IRB approved
Task 2: Supporting MOH in implementation of the pilot in selected districts in Hanoi, Can Tho and HCMC
- Coordinate with VAAC/NTP, provincial CDC and selected district health centre/hospitals to implementing the pilot
- Facilitate the training for district health staff
- Monitor, supervise and provide technical support to piloting sites during implementation of the pilots to ensure the pilot implemented as planned
- Collect data, analyse and develop report
Output/s: Report on the results of the pilot and the lessons learns/recommendations for scale-up
5. Specific requirements
a. Qualifications required: University degree on medicine or public health with post graduate training on HIV and/or viral hepatitis.
b. Experience required:
- Minimum 10- year experience of clinical or programme management of HIV and viral hepatitis.
- Demonstrated experiences in designing and implementing HIV and/or HCV project/pilot
- Work experiences in implementation of HIV and viral hepatitis diagnosis and treatment programme
- Experiences in working with Viet Nam Administration for HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control, National TB programme, provincial CDC, TB and district health centres.
c. Skills / Technical skills and knowledge:
- Demonstrated technical capacity on viral hepatitis diagnosis and treatment
- Good understanding on health system in Viet Nam
- Familiarity with WHO and national policies and guidelines related to testing, diagnosis and treatment of HIV and viral hepatitis.
d. Language requirements:
- Written and spoken fluency in both Vietnamese and English is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to plan and prioritise challenging workloads
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Fostering integration and teamwork
6. Place of assignment: Hanoi, Viet Nam
7. Medical clearance: The selected Consultant will be expected to provide a medical certificate of fitness for work.
8. Travel: The Consultant is expected to travel to Can Tho and Hochiminh City
Please take note of the following when submitting application: The contractor will be responsible for paying taxes, if any.
Those who are interested can submit your most updated CV and application letter indicating post title and vacancy notice # and should be addressed to:
- Administrative Officer
- World Health Organization
- UN Building, 304 Kim Ma Street, Hanoi, Viet Nam
- OR email@example.com
Before/by 8 November 2022
For further information on this TOR, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.orgKênh kiến thức kỹ năng, phát triển bản thân, hướng nghiệp, blog nhân sự
05/12/2022USAID Learns - Social Impact
04/12/2022USAID Learns - Social Impact