Location: Ha Noi Country Program: Viet Nam Team/Division: Wildlife Health (WH) Position Type: Full-time Internal liaison: WCS Viet Nam Program Managers and teams Expected travel: Approximately 30%, or as required
- Deadline: 31/10/2023
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in nearly 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding, and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities.
WCS Viet Nam Program Overview
WCS has been working in Viet Nam since 2006, focusing on strengthening the commitment, capacity, and actions of the government of Vietnam to combat wildlife trafficking. Through support and cooperation with executive and judiciary sectors, including the Ministry of Public Security, Supreme People’s Court, Supreme People’s Procuracy, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, and the National Assembly, it has provided and shared intelligence on criminal wildlife networks which help generate well-informed decisions in enforcement operations. WCS Viet Nam has generated a wide range of reliable data on a number of related issues on illegal wildlife trade, trained and briefed about 4,000 law enforcement officers, policy makers, journalists, researchers, and managers nationwide in investigation and enforcement techniques, legal barriers and distributed a number of technical handbooks and guides. It has assisted central agencies in reviewing and proposing necessary changes to national legislation, criminal intelligence analysis systems, and inter-agency cooperation. WCS has also facilitated Government to Government dialogue through multilateral and bi-lateral collaboration efforts between Viet Nam and Asian, African, and Latin American countries, to detect and respond to illegal wildlife trade networks. Its wildlife health expertise has been leveraged to address unregulated wildlife trade and mitigate pandemic threats through collaborative research, training, and policy development. Recently, WCS Viet Nam has also expanded to species conservation, with a focus on finding and protecting Rafetus Swinhoei in the wild.
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the WH Team Leader is responsible for:
Overseeing wildlife health conservation projects in consultation with relevant WCS Viet Nam Program Managers, including development, execution, coordination, and monitoring related activities;
Contributing to the technical works of the team and providing technical inputs to other related grant activities;
Building and maintaining effective relationships with relevant government agencies, the donor community, research and academic institutions, and individuals in wildlife conservation in Viet Nam.
A. Grant/Project Development and Implementation
B. Data Management and Analysis
- Oversees the team’s work plans and budget from inception to execution and reporting;
- Leads the implementation and monitoring of the team’s activities in Viet Nam;
- Oversees the procurement and inventory of supply and equipment, including reagents, diagnostic kits, and consumable materials for animal health works;
- Provides veterinary/health technical inputs into other WCSteam’s products, e.g., grant reports, IEC materials, training materials, policy briefs, and vice versa;
- Generates reliable and professional data to catalyze conservation action (report, map, infographic, statistic...) and scientific evidence of zoonotic transmission in wildlife trade chain in coordination with WCS and WCS’s partners, as relevant;
- Oversees the work of the sub-grants, if any, including field-based surveillance activity;
- Provides inputs into and assuresthe quality of relevant reports and updates;
- Provides inputs in grant proposal development, including technical and financial ones;
C. Networking and Partnership
- Oversees the field data collection, data entry, and data management associated with sample collection and tests;
- Leads the production of scientific papers, manuscripts, and publications;
- Oversees and maintains the database of theWH team’s partners, training events, and project reports.
D. Management and Supervision
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with relevant sub-grants, in-country partners, Vietnamese government agencies, laboratories, and research/academic institutions.
- Supervises and assigns tasks to team members and consultants and provides coaching as appropriate;
- Inducts properly and timely to new staff on WCS’s health work and standards.
Contributes to the development of WCS Viet Nam policies and strategies;
Acts as WCS’s representative at provincial and national level/meetings/workshops as required;
Performs other tasks as assigned by the direct supervisor.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field of medical doctor/public health/ and/or veterinary;
5-7 years of relevant work experience in a similar position, preferably in INGO or international organizations in the conservation/environmental areas;
Field surveys and experience in animal handling, biological sample collection, data recording, and sample management are required;
Experience with relevant Vietnamese government agencies is an added advantage;
Ability to handle multitask; prioritize andpay attention to details;manageefficiently;
Ability to lead, supervise and coach a team;
Strategic thinker with excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills;
Proficient in written and verbal communication skills in the English and Vietnamese;
Computer skills mandatory, proficient in Microsoft Office Applications; Knowledge of GIS software (ArcView or MapInfo) is preferable;
Demonstrate skills in database management and record-keeping; in program activities management and implementation;
Concern for wildlife conservation & environmental issues is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications should apply via link https://forms.gle/9xLMDGQ2P2GPHxku9latest by 23:59 of October 31, 2023.
Kênh kiến thức kỹ năng, phát triển bản thân, hướng nghiệp, blog nhân sự
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations.
US Consulate HCMC
06/10/2023Save the Children
11/10/2023Humanitarian Services for Children of Vietnam (HSCV)
04/10/2023Save the Children
15/10/2023US Embassy Hanoi